They give the bass frequencies a bit more punch, but are best used in conjuncion with hi frequency tweeters and a 1x15 woofer. Many guitar amps use 4x10 setups. Look at the Fender '59 tweed bassman. 4x10. The reissues too. Arguably one of the best amps of all time.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
They give the bass frequencies a bit more punch, but are best used in conjuncion with hi frequency tweeters and a 1x15 woofer. Many guitar amps use 4x10 setups. Look at the Fender '59 tweed bassman. 4x10. The reissues too. Arguably one of the best amps of all time.

Yup, this. Also there are loads of bass amps with 15" speakers and SWR makes a 1x18" cab.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
also, bass frequencies spread better and farther then guitar frequencies, so you need less air moved by said speaker.
^ Bass isn't the only frequency that bassists seek to put out, you know.

Lemmy keeps his Marshall Superbass heads with the mids knob at 10 and treble and bass at 0 to really get that 'hit-you-in-the-chest' thing going.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Bass speakers are full range speakers which is why they don't HAVE to be 15" necessarily.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Yeah, we bassists are just as concerned with the mids and treble as the bass. Specifically the low-mids. One of the best tones I've gotten is with the mids boosted a bit and the bass cut a bit.

So a 4x12 cab would sound like a pile of mud, whereas a 4x10 or 8x10 gives you more clarity and low-mid punch. That said, a 1x15 and a tweeter is still a mean combination.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Jan 6, 2010,