I've been taking lessons for almost five years now! I've had different teacher. I just recently got a new teacher. I feel that he has a lot to teach and can bring me even farther into theory and different genres. I don't know what to do.
The main reason I'm thinking this is because of others. It seems to me that they think less of me as a guitar player if I've taken lessons for a long time. Do you know what I mean?

Advice?
Last edited by adam561 at Jan 6, 2010,
sounds like a bad idea. If lessons are going to help you who cares what others think?
I've taken lessons for almost 10 years. Only started taking it seriously a few years ago, though.

My teachers have taken lessons. The guy that has his lesson after me on wednesdays is over 30 and I think it rocks he's doing that.

Taking lessons is a sign you're willing to take it seriously, and have a reliable source.
If you're taking up guitar because you want others to respect you....then you're not taking guitar for the right reason!

Don't worry about what other people think. Just concentrate on what is going to bring you to the skill level you want. Guitar is a personal thing. (Although showing off is permitted, don't get the wrong impression by what i've said. Heh...)
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Unless you think your lessons won't help you progress as a better player, don't quit. If you keep doing lessons you'll be better than those who think less of you.
It's mainly because a lot of talented players I love from the 60s are self taught. George Harrison, lennon, etc.

I just don't want someone to be like "you're only good because you were guided/taught the whole way."
i recently stopped taking lessons, only due to a lack of time, thanks to other commitments (work & school) and i can say, i think my skills have increased somewhat, but my theory has slipped a bit. If I had more time, I would certainly pick my lessons back up however, so IMO I think you should keep going with them.
Do what you want, pay no attention to other people. like my guitar friends are all into hardcore metal and are constantly giving me crap for playing that kind of music, but I plug along playing whatever i feel like.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Quote by mdwallin
I've taken lessons for almost 10 years. Only started taking it seriously a few years ago, though.

My teachers have taken lessons. The guy that has his lesson after me on wednesdays is over 30 and I think it rocks he's doing that.

Taking lessons is a sign you're willing to take it seriously, and have a reliable source.
I'm 35 (darn it I wrote 34 then realised I am even older than that ) and my teacher rocks - and I plan on taking lessons for as long as I'm learning stuff from him.

When I stop learning stuff from him (which I don't expect to happen for a looooong time yet) I'll probably go hunting for new teachers - there's always someone who knows something you don't
Quote by adam561
It's mainly because a lot of talented players I love from the 60s are self taught. George Harrison, lennon, etc.

I just don't want someone to be like "you're only good because you were guided/taught the whole way."

Sorry to say, but someone has probably said that about you already, and the better you get the more the'll say it. If you stop taking lessons, the'll say something else.

It's the other people who say you rock and couldn't care less how you got there that will stick around you. The other one's will eventually go away or shut up.
**** em, tell em that they should not be jealous of you for having a more reliable source for improving your ability - I sure would if I could afford a teacher. It doesn't matter if it is necessary to anyone but yourself, not only that, but being surrounded by another musician increases your abilities a lot faster.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by qwertyuiop8642
self taught decent guitarist< very skilled guitarist that isnt self taught

Couldn't of said it better. I quit lessons when I was younger. My playing has gotten better technically but my playing could be MUCH better if I understood theory and how music works better. Don't quit, I regret it and will be starting lessons and theory classes again soon.
you can try taking a break for a few months and just do your own thing.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by adam561

No offense, but that is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. No one is going to care if you were taught by someone else. You're being way too self-conscious about this whole thing.
If people think less of you because you take lessons, which IMO is very humble and non-egotistical, than screw them. Just my opinion.
Alot of professional guitarists still take guitar lessons. It would be stupid to think not taking lessons means you are good. Very stupid infact.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
A teacher is more than just teaching. A teacher is very important because he is experienced and can correct you whenever you are going wrong. For ex - If you aren't alt picking properly, he can point it out and what not. Learning theory is an added advantage. Don't drop the teacher method. Get a good teacher who suits your needs and stick to him and practice religiously.
I've been playing guitar for almost 30 years and teaching for the last 20. I went to music school and would consider myself an advanced player. But sometimes I might get into a rut, or need an outside opinion on something. So I'll go see a teacher who I feel can shed new light on my situation.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking lessons, as long as you feel that you are learning. Once you come to a point where you feel you're wasting your time with a teacher, take a break or find a different instructor.
I find that people who look down on lessons, generally aren't that serious about progressing as a musician.
There's my way and the wrong way.