I've had my XXX only a few weeks and have been very happy with it. Last week I moved into my new house. I had the amp inside while packing. I then carried it out to my jeep and left it inside the truck while I finished packing.It was very cold and windy, maybe 20 degrees F. When I arrived at the new place I carried it right inside. Yesterday I wanted to play a bit and the amp just has no tone. It sounds flat and the distortion is just fuzz. I tried all my guitars, bypassed the pedal board and it is the same. I assume the shock of the sudden tempurature change blew a tube.I am new to tube amps so not sure where to look.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Did you try just using a single cable into the front of your amp? Are you sure its not your cabinet or the speaker cable? Check the tubes, are they all glowing evenly?
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Tried the cable direct. Tubes appear to glow less brightly that normal but I am not sure.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
try another cable? check to make sure all the tubes are seated properly and didn't shake loose during your move.
Tried everything, couldn't figure out the problem. I took it to a small local shop that is an authorized peavey dealer. I guess I'll see what they find.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Could it be simply your ear? I'm curious to know what the problem with the amp could be, or is just horrible acoustics. Just wanting to know because I've had the same situation before and the amp was fine, just a really crappy room....
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Its definitely not my ear. I played just before I moved. When I hooked it up a few days later it sounded completely different. I tried 3 guitars through it and they all sounded like crap. Something definitely blew as the amp just has no power or tone. I'm pretty sure It happened with the drastic temperature change. Its at the shop right now. Waiting to hear something. Any idea what a tube swap can cost?
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by silver93t
Its definitely not my ear. I played just before I moved. When I hooked it up a few days later it sounded completely different. I tried 3 guitars through it and they all sounded like crap. Something definitely blew as the amp just has no power or tone. I'm pretty sure It happened with the drastic temperature change. Its at the shop right now. Waiting to hear something. Any idea what a tube swap can cost?

preamp tubes x4 - $40ish for JJs
power tubes x4 - $70ish for 6L6/EL34 JJs
plus whatever your shop charges for labor.
Quick temperature changes are definitely the enemy of valves. A radio station I was involved with used to switch from the antenna to a dummy load rather than powering down when they stopped transmitting for that very reason - to keep 'em warm. Of course those valves made an EL34 look like a child's toy but the principle is the same. It's called thermal work hardening, it makes the metal brittle and prone to fracturing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shop looked over the amp and gave it a good cleaning, especially all the contact areas.No tubes were blown and nothing obvious stood out. The gentleman told me sometimes dirt or corrotion builds up in the effects loop jacks if they aren't used fod long periods of time and it causes a bad contact that affects the rest of the amp. He suggested just pluging in a cable there from time to time. $50 later amp sounds great again. They also did a custom setup on my prs se 22.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40