I've been playing guitar for a while (with a darn good teacher) and have been playing bass a little bit on the side - I won't say I've been teaching myself, as I haven't. I've just been doing what felt comfortable. Most of which is probably wrong lol

Anyway, I've got in the 'habit' (I haven't been doing it long enough to really call it a habit) of resting my thumb against the top of the string below the one I'm playing, as its comfy and it mutes it without me having to think about it.

Now I've been told I should really leave my thumb against my lowest string (or my pickup if I'm playing my lowest string), and use my fingers to mute. Which feels clunky cos it means I have to move my finger a lot more to get the same effect - once to play a note, then back to prevent the lower string from ringing, then again to stop the note I just played (well if it was an open string anyway)

Is my way going to cause me any problems? Like, will it affect my tone or make it harder to playing things cleanly or make me more likely to injure myself? Do I just need to practice the finger muting thing more?

Ideally I'll use both methods - I just want to know if I should stop my floaty-mutey-thumb thing before it becomes an actual habit-without-the-commas or if I can carry on doing both?

Thanks in advance
Z

Edit: apologies for the wall of text :S
I really want to answer this, but just cant at the moment
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well, you can do that, or if you want to move it even less you can do this:

When you play the E, you put your thumb on the pup.
When you play A, you put your thumb on the E.
When you play D, you put your thumb on E
When you play G, you put your thumb on A

-----------
That's how people here suggested I do it, this is how I do it, and this is the way I'm most comfortable, and also the way I can play the fastest.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Rancid Ivy
Well, you can do that, or if you want to move it even less you can do this:

When you play the E, you put your thumb on the pup.
When you play A, you put your thumb on the E.
When you play D, you put your thumb on E
When you play G, you put your thumb on A

-----------
That's how people here suggested I do it, this is how I do it, and this is the way I'm most comfortable, and also the way I can play the fastest.
Cool ta - thats kind of what I've been doing naturally - except my thumbs been more resting against the string than me having actually placed it against it.

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of different places to put my thumb? I'm guessing if I can get it sorted at this stage it could make life a lot easier when I try and play harder stuff
Well, the only thing is really you I guess... I used to anchor my thumb, so it hurt a lot after, that'S when I put that technique in place. It doesn't hurt anymore AND I got the same tone :P

I don't think it makes any noise difference, but as far as technique, I don't know -_-
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
the teqnique you guys are using is called a moveable anchor. Its good form.
no sir away a papaya war is on
That should be okay. I don't see a problem with it. I usually anchor where ever I damn well please regardless of "proper" technique, because I don't care. It's usually either on my neck where it goes over my body, my neck pickup, or a string, but I don't personally use the technique that has been described here.

I say, do whatever is comfy and works for you. Your the one playing, and if people don't like the way your doing it they need to get a life. Their not playing and you still sound great.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10