I'm looking for some songs to play on the guitar that will have a "chilly" feel... I don't know how to describe the sound, but i'm pretty sure it's minor of some sort. The vocals of most Evanescense songs have this feel that I'm talking about. I want that sort of feel, but for the guitar.
Quote by debo326
I don't know how to describe the sound, but i'm pretty sure it's minor of some sort.

You, my good friend, fail.
My Gear:
Taylor 410CE
Fender Highway One Strat HSS
Egnater Rebel 112X
Egnater Rebel 20
Digitech RP350
PIRATES!!!

Quote by VolumeControl
I once hypnotized my pet rock,. He just sat there...hypnotized out of his mind.
well, I've always found Albert "The Iceman" Collins to have a certain kind of coldness.

But emotionally, Axl Rose is the coldest. He...he just has a heart of stone.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by BradTheUGer
You, my good friend, fail.

That's helpful.

I think maybe what you're trying to explain is the "icicle effect"?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
does the word "ethereal" describe what you mean? If so, maybe Sigur Ros can inspire you.
Last edited by d3adh3adch3mist at Jan 6, 2010,
Look for some band that has sucked mids AND lows.
And prefers high notes rather than chunky E gallops.
Immortal.

It's as grim and cold as you can get.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
i think I get what you mean...

bands like Breaking Benjamin and HIM also have that sort of icy, spacious sound.

I think having a fairly dry signal on clean notes and then some sort of modulation on your distorted tones would be a start. Aaron Fink from BB uses like Boss' Super Shifter and Chorus Ensemble pedals for that whacky digital type of modulation... depending on what guitar and amp you have, if you dont mind digital pedals, I recall that they have a very metallic, subtle flavor that suits that style of music.

you might also consider learning piano in addition to guitar. that instrument, as Elton John says, "...in fact it's cold as hell."
"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long.
And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."

- Stephen King, The Stand