I was sitting here doing English, thought I knew what I was doing, now I'm completely confused.

I thought adverbs just described a verb. And a preposition describes where something is.

So I was using 'outside' as a preposition. I am being told it is (also?) an adverb.. ?
Quote by blue_strat
By whom?

My English book..

Quote by sashki
Maybe in contexts like "He took it outside", it describes where something was being taken, as an adverb. Or would that still be a preposition?

See, exactly what I mean. Would outside in that sentence be adverb or preposition?
adverbs can describe adjectives, verbs and other adverbs...and seriously why would you go to the pit for this..
Quote by archangels666
A prepositional phrase is always "preposition (the, a, an) noun."
For example: He went [outside the school].

It would be an adjective if you used it as in "The dog is outside."

What?

EDIT:

Couldn't you say, " 'The dog is [outside the school].' " Or is that not an adverb because it uses outside in a different meaning?
Last edited by adam561 at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by adam561
What?

Well, it does describe the dog, unless there's a different term for words describing the location of dogs.

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverb
Wikiped says an Adverb can also be used to answer the question "where?", which makes "Outside" an adverb when describing a verb. Not sure if this applies to adjectives and nouns, though.
Last edited by sashki at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by sashki
Well, it does describe the dog, unless there's a different term for words describing the location of dogs.

I think he meant adverb? See why I get confused
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by sashki

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverb
Wikiped says an Adverb can also be used to answer the question "where?", which makes "Outside" an adverb when describing a verb. Not sure if this applies to adjectives and nouns, though.

It doesn't describe the dog, it tells you where it is (location wise). Adjectives don't describe the location of anything. . .
Adverbs can describe adverbs, adjectives, and verbs.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea