For our school's Jazz band there's a limit in how many people can join. He only allows 3 guitar players per year but this semester there's this one guitar player he wanted to audition for our band but the 3 spots are already filled.

All 4 of us have to audition for a spot now and the weakest link has to leave or join another band class. I'm the one with the least experience in the band with only around 1-2 years of experience. Is there any jazz piece you guys recommend playing in front of my teacher to really wow him but isn't that difficult to play?

I was thinking of playing Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra because there's a really good guitar pro tab on here but I'm not sure if that'll really "wow" him.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Play whatever you want for your audition piece, as long as you can play it well. Just know that in high school jazz ensembles, you won't be able to look up a guitar pro tab for every tune you do. If you're serious about playing jazz, it's more important to know jazz chords and have a decent understanding of music theory than to be able to wow people at an audition. Also, sight reading skill is a must, but that will come with time.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Do you plan on getting through the class by using Guitar Pro, or do you have some jazz knowledge already? Not trying to sound rude, I'm just trying to clarify.

For the audition, try picking some sort of famous jazz standard. I wouldn't necessarily consider Sinatra the jazz king. I'm not too familiar with his stuff, though. Just my opinion.

Personally, you should just pick a song that's slightly out of your confort zone, and just work away at that so you can do a great job. Challenging yourself and doing a good job is better than doing an easy song and doing a good job.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
learn to comp chords asap. Thats all you should be doing anyways, if you dont learn your just going to get frustrated. If you can comp well and get the changes you'll be fine. Jazz guitar isn't about "Wowing". Its about being solid and in time
Last edited by conroy91 at Jan 6, 2010,
Improvise over a Jazz Standard like So What, Take the A-Train, or Joy Spring
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Yeah, I'd agree with the learning to comp chords. Also, music theory and some basic sight-reading skills would help a lot.
Quote by COBHC728
Play whatever you want for your audition piece, as long as you can play it well. Just know that in high school jazz ensembles, you won't be able to look up a guitar pro tab for every tune you do. If you're serious about playing jazz, it's more important to know jazz chords and have a decent understanding of music theory than to be able to wow people at an audition. Also, sight reading skill is a must, but that will come with time.

I'm gradually learning how to read music, I'm just saying that I found a really good guitar pro tab here.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by conroy91
learn to comp chords asap. Thats all you should be doing anyways, if you dont learn your just going to get frustrated. If you can comp well and get the changes you'll be fine. Jazz guitar isn't about "Wowing". Its about being solid and in time

I can comp chords, but not really well. I just wanted to play him a piece that will show him the full extent of my playing ability.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent