15-18
55 34%
19-25
15 9%
older
2 1%
Voters: 164.
Page 1 of 2
I started playing the saxophone when I was 9 or 10, excelled quickly, and played it all the way though high school. I always wanted to play the guitar, but never pursued it until earlier in the year when I was 25. I know it's never too late to teach a dog new tricks, but they say the young mind is much more impressionable for things like instruments and languages so I'm just curious if anyone started playing around my age range or older and what your thoughts were on starting "later" than many guitarists.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
10, although you left that out of the poll.

edit: I voted younger than 10
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by mcjosh
10, although you left that out of the poll.

Whoops!
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
yea i was the same,I played Trumpet,Alto Sax,and Percussion throughout middle school.I just recently started palying guitar(freshman year of high school).i've been playing 2 years on and off but the last year i've played solid and got hooked. You saying your 25 I would say your still pretty young and the fact that you have played an instrument before should only help in your pursue to learn guitar.Best of luck
I started playing drums at age 11, and played until about 14. At age 15 I picked up guitar and not long after I started playing bass. At 17 I started learning piano and doing vocal training, and now I'm a one man band.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
15. Played trumpet from grade 7 to now.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
The six string twanger and I never saw eye to eye until I was around 18 or 19. I bought in el cheapo one at 15 but got too frustrated with the amount of issues I had with it so I went back to playing piano.
Piano to guitar seems like a natural progression. Lots of exposure to chords, multiple notes played at one time, etc. I was used to a world of Eb and Bb, so when I hear a note on guitar, I still hear it in the key I'm used to. Time will fix that, I suppose.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
11yo back in 1970 after a neighbor gave me two guitars! So I have been playing for 40 years now!

John
Quote by johnro6659
11yo back in 1970 after a neighbor gave me two guitars! So I have been playing for 40 years now!

John

Man I wish I was born in the 60's or 70's. Everyone was a lot nicer rofl.

I started playing at age 14, i do believe, and I am 17 now.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Started the violin when I was 8.
Got a guitar when I was 10. Played it for a year and then got bored. Picked it up again when I was 12 and Ive been playing seriously since then
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Just before my 18th birthday...over 26 years ago.

Man I feel old.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Just after my 18th birthday. I first wanted to play when I was 15-16, but I was too poor back then and also too lazy to get around to buying a guitar. I didn't even know what sort of guitar I wanted until I was 17 and it was only after my 18th birthday that I finally had a good enough idea what would be good and had enough money to buy one. So, I've started pretty late. It does annoy me when some eight year old shows up playing stupidly complicated runs that I can't even begin to follow or comprehend, let alone play; then I think about all the 'fun' they're going to have when they grow up and they have to change every aspect of their technique as their muscle memory is essentually wiped and their bigger hands force them to re-learn every position. And I laugh.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i started playing in middle school, so... idk, 13 or so? (I technically started when I was 7 but learned classical guitar left handed for 6 months, got bored and quit and picked it up again later), took a two year hiatus from playing during my first two years of college and got back into it the last few years, now playing less electric and playing more and more acoustic.
I started playing acoustic when I was 10. My teacher only taught me the basics like some easy chords & a couple of easy instrumental songs(that i used to down pick frequently) when I wanted to learn to read music tablature, he used to avoid it by saying that he'll cover it up later on, He never taught me any music theory either. I took lessons till I turned 14. Stopped playing for 2yrs when I turned 15 cause I had to move to a different place to live & had to leave my guitar behind. Then when I turned 17 I got my old acoustic back but since it was a cheap one & I was using 0.12s on it, so when I started using standard E tuning it didn't hold up for more than a couple of 10 months (i was 7yrs old when I had first got it but didn't take lessons till I turned 10, so the guitar was already more than 10yrs old)
Then when I turned 19 I got my first electric which is in good shape & then started listening to alot of different artists & learning alot of different new techniques & some music theory. This was like starting guitar all over again because there was alot of stuff that my teacher hadn't covered up when I was learning (e.g. pull offs/bending strings, vibrato & alot of other stuff) Now I have taken playing it as a career & will never ditch it :-D
I started at 23. I'm 26 now. I don't think we started to late... I just wish I'd started sooner, lol. I'm happy with my playing. I only need to please myself . I think it has more to do with the time put in then the age when you start.

Since everyone's giving there musical history:
I played piano from age 5 untell 14. I hated it. I started violin at 11 in school and haven't stoped .
I started playing when I was just about to turn 12 (yeah, when everyone else starts). I was using my brothers guitar, which he gave up (he's an extremely talented percussionist though. At the age of 16 he got to 4th place in the state competition). I remember the very first riff I ever learned was the intro to "Down With The Sickness" by Disturbed. I wasn't really into guitar playing then, but after I showed the riff to my friend and saw the look in his eyes when I did, I knew from then on out that I couldn't become anything else than a guitar player :-D
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I started with classical guitar at 9. Then got into electric guitar at 13.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Feb. 28th, 2004, when I turned 14. Almost 6 years...Jesus Christ almost 6 years. Need to get better.
The Clarion Call - Solo(unfortunately) music project

GEAR:
ESP/LTD EC-1000 in Dark Cherry
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 100W Head
MESA 2x12 Rectifier Cab @ 140W

Chances are, I will lurk your profile.
i first picked up a guitar at age 9, but didnt start playing seriously until maybe 11-12
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by MrFlibble
Just after my 18th birthday. I first wanted to play when I was 15-16, but I was too poor back then and also too lazy to get around to buying a guitar. I didn't even know what sort of guitar I wanted until I was 17 and it was only after my 18th birthday that I finally had a good enough idea what would be good and had enough money to buy one. So, I've started pretty late. It does annoy me when some eight year old shows up playing stupidly complicated runs that I can't even begin to follow or comprehend, let alone play; then I think about all the 'fun' they're going to have when they grow up and they have to change every aspect of their technique as their muscle memory is essentually wiped and their bigger hands force them to re-learn every position. And I laugh.

This happened to me, although it's probably mostly my fault.

I started at age 7 or 8 and learnt loads of stuff, but at that age, it's impossible to stick with something for that long, so i spent most of my pre-teen/early teenage years as a robot wars/final fantasy nerd and didn't play guitar. Then i noticed girls. Then i noticed that girls like guitarists, not losers who go around talking about how many times they've beaten emerald weapon. then i thought "hang on a minute.. i play guitar!!!". Then i went around school acting all cool saying "I play guitar!!" and started to grow my hair and rebel against teachers and morals and bought myself an epiphone G-400, but when i actually tried tried to play it, i knew how to.. i just couldn't physically do it because my hands were twice the size and all the muscle memory was gone boy did i look like a prick!
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Your never too young to learn. A good friend of mine Anderson Mar runs Tom Green's School of Rock here in Mass. I go to a some of their shows and the kids are amazing, some guitars are bigger than the kids who use them but they can play. I think it's a great school and I have seen some talent I just can't believe in such young kids. If you have kids and want them to learn you should see if there is one in your area and get your kid started. I wish it was around when I was just starting I was self taught and it was a chore with a lot of frustration involved. Tom Green's School of Rock not only just teach they get gigs for the kids so they get on stage experience in front of an audience.

http://www.schoolofrock.com/boston/main_school.php

John
I started playing at age 13 after many years of bugging my dad to teach me on his acoustic. I must have been 6 or 7 when I first asked to be taught but to no avail sadly. I was fed the excuse that my hands were too small to even try and I wouldn't keep it up so I wasn't allowed dammit.

It took us moving house and me finding a plywood strat and nameless amp along with a basics book and cable in the loft when I was investigating the new digs. The strat only had 5 strings for about the first year or so, no high E!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I started playing right around the time I turned 21, so I've been playing for a little over a year now. Though I do wish I started earlier, I'm kind of glad I started later (in a way). I certainly have far more patience for learning right now. Plus, I was able to buy my own gear right away as opposed to humming and hawing over things I would've wanted my parents to buy for me.
Played piano since I was six, then started fooling around on guitar when I was 14, and it took me until I turned 16 to get really serious with it.
When i turned 15, in 1989
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Started piano at 6 (i think), never practiced nvr gave a shit about it. Started violin at 10 (or so) nvr practiced either... quite violin at 13 but still learning piano (parents!@#$). Even tho I hated both Violin was more fun than piano (i guess im more of a string instrument player). Started guitar when almost 14. Self taught (basically no "physical" teacher).
I'm pretty much like you TS. I started messing around with the guitar in college, but didnt get serious until I was 25. I'm 28 now. I've made huge progress in 3 years, but I wish like hell I would have played as a kid. With that said, you are just as capable now to learning as you were when you were a kid. Don't buy into the "You can't learn as an adult" crap. Its 90% muscle memory. The biggest thing though is time.....when you are learning as a 10-20 year old, you have way more time and dedication to teach yourself. If I played guitar as much as I played video games when I was a teenager I'd be a shredder by now.

Just stay focused and motivated, and you will get there. I stay motivated when I see guys in their 50's and 60's still tearing it up. Thats 20-30 years away for me and more than enough time to learn!!!
Quote by MrFlibble
this is not true at all. there is nothing wrong with learning guitar at a young age. especially if you have proper instruction, i know a few people my age who have been playing consistently since they were 8 or 9 and they are incredible guitarists (they're mostly into the jazz thing these days) and have never had to "re-learn" anything. Even I picked up guitar at a fairly young age, obviously between the time I was 13 and 22 my technique changes and my hands get bigger, but in no way did that stunt my development in anyway or cause me any issue, I STILL adjust my technique now to improve certain aspects of my playing. It's not like one day you just suddenly wake up and have to change everything.
Page 1 of 2