I've been working on some faster songs lately and they involve gallops and down picking. When I do my gallops and down picking my arm seems to tense up and then ach a little. I'm working on just using my wrist, and it helps, but I still be feel a little ach/burnin my arm. You guys have any tips on how I can minimize tension and use more of my wrist?
they'll give you the typical answer: slow down and practice it. then build the speed. and while you're practicing slow, watch yourself (arm position, wrist position, finger positions, etc.) to see if you're doing anything wrong. If you are doing something wrong, then correct it and start out uber slow with this newfound correct position. You'll have to kind of build up from scratch in a sense.
Quote by TriviumFan717
I've been working on some faster songs lately and they involve gallops and down picking. When I do my gallops and down picking my arm seems to tense up and then ach a little. I'm working on just using my wrist, and it helps, but I still be feel a little ach/burnin my arm. You guys have any tips on how I can minimize tension and use more of my wrist?

It depends what kind of ache it is really, if it's the kind of ache you get from exercising for a long time, that kind of low burn then you're probably alright, that's just you working out and building stamina for this kind of playing.

If it's any other kind of paint and I do mean ANY other kind of pain in any area other than your forearm then you need to look at your technique and posture and make sure you're not doing anything wrong; make sure you're relaxed, using economical movements and all that other stuff covered in the sticky.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.