Hello all,

First the backstory, so you can answer the question.

I got my guitar (A silvertone SG) when I was 13 (back in '03). I'm 19 now, and going to college.

For the first few years of owning my guitar, I had a very small amount of interest in it, and I didn't start playing and learning until i was about 15. Now, 4 years later, I find that I haven't had much improvement. My practice is... spotty. Unfortunately life for me is busy so there are times of peak interest where I play all the time, and then times where I'm too busy. So I guess you could say my guitar practice has been off and on.

I find myself unable to really play anything right now. I can play some intros to songs, like Hypnotize, and One, but I've never gotten any further than the beginning.

I've got some bad habits from teaching myself (still working on not anchoring my hand).

My biggest problem is is that I don't know where I am as a guitarist and I don't know what I need to be practicing or working on. I know how to play a guitar (Note: Playing just means making noise) and how to read music and tablature and all, but I don't know any techniques, and I definitely don't know any of the nomenclature with a guitar. (Ex. Tremolo picking, I have no idea).

So where would be a good place to start, and what with?
In your case a guitar teacher might be best, but if you don't want one, try the lessons on UG and actually learn a song to the point where you can play along with the track, once you get one down you'll hopefully be encouraged and understand you can get many more songs down and it'll help technique-wise
Not anchoring your hand isn't necessarily a bad thing, the greatest player of all time had a floating hand (Shawn Lane).
Quote by SinSyringe
In your case a guitar teacher might be best, but if you don't want one, try the lessons on UG and actually learn a song to the point where you can play along with the track, once you get one down you'll hopefully be encouraged and understand you can get many more songs down and it'll help technique-wise

I tried a teacher, unfortunately he was a little too expensive, and I sadly had to stop.

But, Sin, and I know this has been asked a thousand times. What are some songs that would be good for an beginner/intermediate player?
Smells Like Teh Teen Spirit?

Or perhaps, if you like heavier stuff, a Slayer song?

E -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

All palm-muted by the way.

Okay, seriously learn the pentatonic scale shapes. Shall help you immensely. Learn proper technique as well. NO ANCHORING!
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by p8ntballsniper8
I tried a teacher, unfortunately he was a little too expensive, and I sadly had to stop.

But, Sin, and I know this has been asked a thousand times. What are some songs that would be good for an beginner/intermediate player?

Well it depends on what genres you like, but if you want to just practice rhythm/playing along try a song like The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson or Smells Like Teen Spirit which doesn't have too many riffs to memorize. Then you can move on to a song with maybe a solo and take all of this slowly, but try to put in at least 30 minutes a day and break the time periods up into working on specific things.
10 minutes working on a scale with a metronome on
10 minutes practicing a solo to a song
10 minutes playing along to the song
and so on