So I just brought a Fender Baja Telecaster. And I love it, so much. Like wow awesome guitar.

One thing, I play a big variety of music and I find when i play more heavyer stuff its just not quite their. Ive messed with the amp alot to try and compensate but ive come to the conclusion I need a humbucker. So ive decided I want the SD little 59 for tele. Amp is blackstar HT-5

Now the baja tele for those who don't know, has an s1 switch which puts the pickups out of phase. Heres an outline of what it does..
(pickup selecter..)
position 1 - bridge
position 2 - bridge / neck w/ s1 switch - out of phase
position 3 - neck
position 4 - bridge / neck in parellel w/ s1 switch - out of phase

the switch does nothing to position 1 & 3

Now im thinking, if wired right i can turn the s1 switch into a coil tap??? am I right?

I want it to be..
position 1 - bridge (humbucker) w/ s1 switch (single coil)
position 2 - bridge / neck [will s1 switch effect it here, im not sure?]
position 3 - neck
position 4 - bridge / neck parellel *

*now with position 4, im thinking that i wont be able to get that to work???? if I coil tap it. If i can't, could I use position 4 as a killswitch???

I have no idea how to wire this really and i might get professional to do it, but firstly i need to know is this possible. Or what isnt possible and what is???

Thanks, hope you can understand that :P

EDIT: ok lol i was meant to post this in the guitar customisation forum lol. Can a mod move this? Unless its good here?
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Last edited by stratele at Jan 6, 2010,
im bumping this, mainly cause i need it to be moved..

can anyone help moi?
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
You probably would need a proffesional to do it. S1 switches are quite complicated. And to be honest, it might just be a lot more hassle than it's actually worth, and the guitars got the option of having it wired in series, why don't you just use that?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
You probably would need a proffesional to do it. S1 switches are quite complicated. And to be honest, it might just be a lot more hassle than it's actually worth, and the guitars got the option of having it wired in series, why don't you just use that?

because 2 single coils in series still sounds like 2 single coils combined, just louder and with a fatter output. They are positioned too far apart to give a more focussed, humbucker-like tone which is probably what he's trying to achieve.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the S1 switch is really quite simple. It's just 4 on/on switches that all switch at the same time.

You could just replace the bridge pickup and put a coil tap in using a push/pull for the tone pot but that wouldn't give you your kill switch.
Quote by Blompcube
because 2 single coils in series still sounds like 2 single coils combined, just louder and with a fatter output. They are positioned too far apart to give a more focussed, humbucker-like tone which is probably what he's trying to achieve.

I knew that wiring them in series would give a 'distanced' humbucker-like tone, but it does sound like he's only dabbling in the heavier stuff and likes his tone already, so would there be a point in some complicated wiring just for that?

If I was him, I'd probably go the full way and just buy a new guitar dedicated to heavier stuff. Just seems a bit more worth it to be honest.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I knew that wiring them in series would give a 'distanced' humbucker-like tone, but it does sound like he's only dabbling in the heavier stuff and likes his tone already, so would there be a point in some complicated wiring just for that?

If I was him, I'd probably go the full way and just buy a new guitar dedicated to heavier stuff. Just seems a bit more worth it to be honest.

yes, but if he was happy to make do with the series pickup combo for heavier tones he probably wouldn't be thinking about putting a humbucker in it in the first place.

Although i agree with getting a new guitar for that stuff though. If you're really happy with the way a guitar sounds except for in one specific style, you're best off getting a new guita for that specifically, otherwise if you change it you're gonna be changing the way the guitar sounds for other styles, perhaps in a way you're less satisfied with. If it aint broke, don't fix it, basically.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

I have an SG for the heavier stuff. I just want my tele to handle it as well.

I duno im now thinking about just leaving it. Just i still want the single coil sound, hence the coil tap.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by stratele
I have an SG for the heavier stuff. I just want my tele to handle it as well.

I duno im now thinking about just leaving it. Just i still want the single coil sound, hence the coil tap.

well, the thing with coil taps is that they don't give you a "true" single coil sound. They tend to be a bit nasal sounding.

Quote by Blompcube
well, the thing with coil taps is that they don't give you a "true" single coil sound. They tend to be a bit nasal sounding.

True, id keep the neck pickup as it is tho. But then yeah i want bridge single coil sound too, dam cant have everything

think ill just keep it as it is tbh, maybe buy a pedal that can beef it up a bit
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Firstly, it's coil split, not 'tap'. A split is when you shut off one coil in a humbucker to generate a singlecoil tone- a tap is when you shut off some of the windings in a pickup to give a lower output and clearer (not not singlecoil) tone.

Also, I would advise against splitting a Lil'59. The resulting tone will basically be that of a cheap Squier singlecoil pickup: it's powered by a ceramic bar magnet like those are and it won't be a pretty tone. Switching from series wiring to parallel wiring would be a better option as the pickup will remain hum-cancelling and the tone will be similar to being split but actually, as parallel wiring keeps the windings of the second coil in the system, you do lose a little more treble which would help get rid of some of the ice-pick-like ceramic tone that the split pickup would have.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.