I have been reading a bit about replacement speakers for various combo amps, and the one thing that I have noticed missing from the tests and the resondent reviews, is how the speakers that variours respondents are using perform in open back versus closed back cabinets.

I currently have a Peavey Classic 30, and like a number of users form other forms, I find the 2nd channel, in particular, quite muddy due to the bass and mid becoming "fused". Even on the first channel, while not a bad sound, the mid range is quite powerful, and seems to be little affected by dialing it down (without adversely affecting treble and or bass). I have reviewed and heard (on web comparisons) the Celestion g12h 70th anniversary, 30 vintage, 30 green back, gold, as well as tone tubby alnico & weber blue dog. Does anyone out there have any experience with any of these a la open back combo amps?

2nd question:does the Peavey Blue Marvel improve noticeably with age?

Thanks, JP
Get an actual celestion vintage 30. They are the go-to speaker for a reason. Unless you are super stingy about your tone the v30 will translate any amp very well.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Well there are a lot of vintage 30 knock offs... eminence, warehouse, even celestion themselves make "budget" vintage 30's. These are not as good of quality in both sound and lifespan. Replacement speakers are really something you need to spend money on, think about it, they are the voice of your entire guitar setup. Dont skimp sir... it will go a long way tone wise.

EDIT: i should probably put up a flame shield here just in case, when i say not as good i mean to my ears of course. Ive also heard about a lot of companies speakers simply crapping out in a very short amount of time. So go with celestion
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by schtick_bomb at Jan 6, 2010,