So the past couple years during the winter all we hear about (at least around my home town) is that the county/township is short on salt and needs to conserve it so it lasts the winter. With all the technology and smarts in the world don't you think it's about time they think of some other alternative to make the roads safe during the winter season? Seriously. You're telling me that they can't make some kind of liquid that melts the snow and ice without freezing itself? Or maybe trucks could drive around with flamethrowers pointing towards the ground There has to be a way!
I'm sure you'll be able to survive a few years without salt until global warming melts the ice for you. Shouldn't be a problem .
lol the worlds largest salt mine in the world is in my town but i totally hear what your sayin our town still complains that due to export we dont have enough for our own roads
Quote by samick007
I'm sure you'll be able to survive a few years without salt until global warming melts the ice for you. Shouldn't be a problem .

Doncha know, global warming doesn't exist this winter? Record lows everywhere...
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by anthsband
You're telling me that they can't make some kind of liquid that melts the snow and ice without freezing itself?

Alcohol?
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
pfft, try chile powder. or even lucas.

or if your on the pyro side of life, Sterno burns for along time. AND its a gel, spreads like butter..
The salt and grit makes it worse for me when walking, the ice half melts, and i slip on the salt
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Doncha know, global warming doesn't exist this winter? Record lows everywhere...

GLobal warming refers to a long term weather trend (takes place over decades) and doesnt refer to short term weather patterns. There can always be a cold winter or two while the average temp continues to rise over the years.
Quote by guylee
a salt shortage? isn't that a little mid-evil?

its more like high-good
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by Rogue Hermit

lol, foolish statement is foolish.

Anyhoo, there is an alternative to salting roads, it's been around for decades: Tyre chains.

Of course in the UK we'd rather spend millions on salt every year rather than buy chains once and that's it.
Come over here to Australia, its still summer
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
i was watching this show the other day, apparently there is a huge basin thingy underneath michigan and the great lakes that is basically all salt. or some shit
that's a lot of salt...

and any kind of de-icing liquid would probably cost cities a whole lot more than salt and possibly because millions of gallons of it could be bad for the environment
Plus this "de-icing" liquid probably wouldn't be too friendly to the environment.

Salt won't be replaced.

1) Its cheap

2) Its easy to deploy

3) There is a shit load of it

Plus Tire chains mess up the roads, causing a greater need for funds to repair said roads.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.