So I've been wondering if these pickups were wired right, I'm not even sure it's grounded honestly. Never get a "rush job" on pickup installs, or maybe it's just Mississippi.

I get a good bit of white noise with a good bit of distortion dialed in and sometimes I can quiet it a good bit buy laying my fingers across this strings (Grounding issue?), I also get some white noise with certain clean channels too but not all.

I'll buy myself a damn soldering gun and fix it if I need to, I decided it would be easier just to show the wiring mess with pictures than try to explain it

This is the bridge pickup, it's a FatTone Vintage Humbucker.

If you look for the big clump of solder on the left that's where the black wire is connected to.

This is the middle pickup, it's also a humbucker. Seymour Duncan JB JR. The white and red under my thumb go to that. And you can see where the black goes hopefully (Clump of solder on the right). (Pardon the skin falling off my thumb)

Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
any idea what kind of switch that is?

..it doesnt make sense if it's any of the 5-way styles I've used before

whered you get it wired?

edit: although, it could just be a switch I havent used before.

if the noise goes away when you touch the strings, thats normal.

..so maybe its wired right. sounds like you might just have to shield the cavities
Last edited by james4 at Jan 6, 2010,
Local shop in the closest town near me. Shouldn't have walked in there in the first place.

As far as I know it's just a regular 5 way switch, I can see if I can get a better picture of it if it will help at all?
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
well it looks like they wired the switch right, but the soldering is messy as all ****. no telling how many cold joints there are there. i would seriously consider getting a soldering iron and some solder and just desoldering everything, clean it up, and start from the beginning.

Also are you sure its normal for the hum to stop when he touches the strings? i thought that was a sign of a bad ground solder?
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Last edited by sk8freakrt at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by sk8freakrt
well it looks like they wired the switch right, but the soldering is messy as all ****. no telling how many cold joints there are there. i would seriously consider getting a soldering iron and some solder and just desoldering everything, clean it up, and start from the beginning.

Also are you sure its normal for the hum to stop when he touches the strings? i thought that was a sign of a bad ground solder?

He's right, it is normal.

I think TS should do as suggested above, but be prepared to spend a few hours on it.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Well I as going to register for classes today but apparently it's closed due to "EXXXXTREEEEMMMMEE WEATHEERRRRRRR" aka some snow flakes fell in Mississippi. So I'll spend my day rewiring my guitar after I take my sister to the airport. Radioshack here I come.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD