im using a Marshall JCM 900 and most likely a shure sm57

please post anything that you do to get a really good sound. or things i can do
what type of music are you recording, and is it a combo or a half stack?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Alright, main thing is to remember that you really don't nead nearly as much gain as you'd think, also you probably want to roll off the bass a little bit, I would also suggest micing the speaker on axis, and toy around with the mic placement until you get something you like. Also make sure to keep the volume of your amp in check, and if you need power tube saturation you may want to look into an attenuator.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Alright, main thing is to remember that you really don't nead nearly as much gain as you'd think, also you probably want to roll off the bass a little bit, I would also suggest micing the speaker on axis, and toy around with the mic placement until you get something you like. Also make sure to keep the volume of your amp in check, and if you need power tube saturation you may want to look into an attenuator.

Good advice.

Also, for low end, really heavy sounds, mic on the outside of the speaker cones, but for high end, mic closer to the center.
really it's all about finding what's right for you and your ears. you'll probably want to keep the mic real close to the speaker, but move it around and try on and off axis until you like what you hear. sometimes strange things work quite well, so don't just stick with what we suggest. experiment to your heart's content, and find what works best with your style.

Kid gave some good advice about gain and bass and all that. it's definitely worth at least taking into consideration.