Whenever I play guitar and start playing moderately fast I start to get a sharp pain in my picking hand , it's in between my shoulder and my forearm.
I believe I play with correct posture, I sit at the edge of my chair, with my back straight, my body against the guitars and with my upper forearm rested on the top right of the guitar.
And I don't believe I play with tension. But I am not sure, if I do how do I avoid it?
Whenever I play a quick riff though, it happens.
As soon as I stop it goes away though.
Weird thing is that I can tremolo on just one note and it doesn't hurt nearly as much as it does when I change notes and move my fretting hand.
I also believe I breath correctly, smoothly and at a normal rate.
I even do warm-ups and take breaks.
It has been going on for about 1 month so far.
And it never happened before.
You may be moving your arm too much when you pick. You may be straining your forearm or bicep if you use it to pick a lot. Or you may be developing carpal tunnel or tendinitis from improper picking technique.

Try changing your picking style a bit so it's more comfortable and see if that helps. Maybe talk to an expert or doctor if it continues.
Last edited by D&DLover at Jan 6, 2010,
There's more than likely unecessary tension in your arm - probably just you tensing up whenever you pick fast. Completely relax everything when you play, that's the key.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by teddy_baca
it's in between my shoulder and my forearm

That leaves a lot of territory Can you narrow it down to a specific muscle or joint or tendon or something?
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Well, when you stand up it takes alot of pressure off your arm, and allows better blood flow, instead of being all cramped up in a chair, why do you think alot of musicians like their guitars hanging low, its not cause its cool, mainly cause it allows for faster picking without putting much tension on your arm.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, when you stand up it takes alot of pressure off your arm, and allows better blood flow, instead of being all cramped up in a chair, why do you think alot of musicians like their guitars hanging low, its not cause its cool, mainly cause it allows for faster picking without putting much tension on your arm.

Yeah, sitting has never seemed like a very good idea to me. I do it, mostly sitting on the couch trying to pick out songs by ear, but for serious playing standing up is the way to go.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.