Im looking to get a mic so I can sing over the drums. Im just wondering what exactly would you need to buy? The mic obviously but does it plug into a normal amp or what? Not really sure how it works.
Well, it takes talent to sing.

/smartass answer

Usually singers want to buy a PA system and a microphone. If you want to go the cheap and not so great sounding way, buy a keyboard or bass amp.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by Alex Vik
Well, it takes talent to sing.

/smartass answer

Usually singers want to buy a PA system and a microphone.

THIS

google behringer europower... its cheap and awesome
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

i would reccomend getting 2 cables, XLR to XLR, and XLR to 1/4 inch. the first one can plug into a mixer, and the second can plug into a cheap amp

a singer i kno actualy uses a spider III for his amp, that way he can use a cool reverb and that stuff
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Quote by Lagunaguitar
a singer i kno actualy uses a spider III for his amp, that way he can use a cool reverb and that stuff

Most mixers have basic delay and reverb effects built in.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
PA system + microphone.

I would definitely stray away from Behringer. I have yet to use a product of theirs that I would deem 'good'.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
It's honestly going to be QUITE expensive to buy a PA that'll have you heard over drums.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
It's honestly going to be QUITE expensive to buy a PA that'll have you heard over drums.

Not really. For vocals you can find a PA for under $200 that can easily be heard over drums.

Also, do not use an amp unless it has an XLR input on it. Using one of those XLR to 1/4" converters is not safe and can damage the amp because its not designed to handle a signal being produced by a mic.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Not really. For vocals you can find a PA for under $200 that can easily be heard over drums.

Also, do not use an amp unless it has an XLR input on it. Using one of those XLR to 1/4" converters is not safe and can damage the amp because its not designed to handle a signal being produced by a mic.

WTF are you talking about? Mic signals are extremely weak. If you just use an adapter, you will barely hear any sound at all, if any. If you want to use an amp that only has a quarter inch input for a mic, you need to get what's called a High Z Transformer. It's essentially the opposite of a DI box. (google them if you don't know). Most keyboard amps and some bass amps however have an input that will work with a mic, but your voice will sound like shit through a bass amp. The male voice naturally has a very bassy quality to it that sounds awful when amplified. PA systems come with special EQ's to fix this, but a bass amp I imagine, will make it worse.
Quote by In The Mist
WTF are you talking about? Mic signals are extremely weak. If you just use an adapter, you will barely hear any sound at all, if any. If you want to use an amp that only has a quarter inch input for a mic, you need to get what's called a High Z Transformer. It's essentially the opposite of a DI box. (google them if you don't know). Most keyboard amps and some bass amps however have an input that will work with a mic, but your voice will sound like shit through a bass amp. The male voice naturally has a very bassy quality to it that sounds awful when amplified. PA systems come with special EQ's to fix this, but a bass amp I imagine, will make it worse.

Nope. They make XLR - 1/4" converters that allow you to plug directly in to an amp. I've used them before and you definitely can hear the mic. However, using one takes away the mic's ground and can cause damage to an amplifier.