Ok, I would hope to purchase a new amp in the spring. After much internal debate--and grumbling--I figured the amp would be a better investment instead of fixing up my squier.

I currently have a line 6 spider III 15W. I enjoy the clean and insane, but on the latter the noise discourages me from playing it. I don't mind investing in another larger Spider b/c of the distortion--but I don't want a repeat.

My playing style is blues, metal, classic and hard rock. Gear is in the sig.

I do plan to gig with the intention of making pocket change.
for $300 you might be able to find a used Classic 30. What city do you live in?
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I would recommend a Peavey Vypyr, its got all kinds of effects built in and a 30 watt will run you about 200 bucks, but it gets pretty loud for a 30 watt. Im sure you could shop around and buy it for cheaper or get a bigger model if you wouldnt mind getting it used.
Hands down the Peavey Bandit 112. Excellent metal tone (especially with an overdrive) and great cleans. It's foot-switchable, has an FX loop and a cab-out port.
Quote by )(yperX
Hands down the Peavey Bandit 112. Excellent metal tone (especially with an overdrive) and great cleans. It's foot-switchable, has an FX loop and a cab-out port.

an overdrive...what? like a pedal? and which cables are better: dimarzio or monster?
Quote by Capn_McFuzzles
I would recommend a Peavey Vypyr, its got all kinds of effects built in and a 30 watt will run you about 200 bucks, but it gets pretty loud for a 30 watt. Im sure you could shop around and buy it for cheaper or get a bigger model if you wouldnt mind getting it used.

This.

TS, if you go with the 30W Vypyr, see if you can also invest in a Sanpera 1 footswitch (an additional $100). I just checked Guitar Center's website and they have the 30W Vypyr on sale for $176. Thus, if you can get both of those now you'd stay within your budget.

Edit: Scratch the on sale part, I missed the part in your initial post about you getting this in the spring. However, getting both of those should hopefully be a viable option for you at $300 overall.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jan 7, 2010,
GET A CLASSIC 30.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, seriously, if you could stretch even an extra twenty bucks, you could probably get a used classic 30, which is perfect for pretty much everything you mentioned, providing the metal isn't ultra mega brootal or nothin
For metal and to eliminate noise, you need a noise gate, noise suppressor, or noise reduction pedal. I use the Boss NS-2. Affordable and it doesn't suck your tone away.

You may also want to consider used versus new. last year I bought a used Ibanez tone blaster 100 watt amp head for under $200 during a sale at Guitar Center. Even with the purchase of a two year warranty ($50), I still came out under $300 and have a warranty as well.
Ibanez RG2EX1 modified with Kahler 7300 Tremolo
Ibanez RG120 Custom-rebuilt completely, plus FR
Ibanez TB100H half stack w/ Marshall MG412A Slant cab
Yea, I'm an "Ibanez man..."
Metal Band- DARK BLU
Quote by captainsix
an overdrive...what? like a pedal? and which cables are better: dimarzio or monster?

You have $300 for an amp, yet you want to pay 1/3 of that price for a cable?

Avoid the Monster piece of shit.

Quote by Daemon_Blak
For metal and to eliminate noise, you need a noise gate, noise suppressor, or noise reduction pedal. I use the Boss NS-2. Affordable and it doesn't suck your tone away.

You may also want to consider used versus new. last year I bought a used Ibanez tone blaster 100 watt amp head for under $200 during a sale at Guitar Center. Even with the purchase of a two year warranty ($50), I still came out under $300 and have a warranty as well.

That's quite arguable. X-Pattern improves it a ton, to the level of the ISP.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Last edited by no.mop at Jan 7, 2010,
Please avoid paying too much for over-priced cables.

Just go to a cable wholesaler (or the guys who sell to small retail outlets) and beg to be sold some loose wires, if you buy something like 30 ft or more, they'd usually be willing to sell you some.

Neutrik jacks + Mogami / Belden / Canare / Evidence Audio cable are all awesome.

Plus you get cables and connectors which are better, if not just as good as monsters for a fraction of the price.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I compared the Vypyr and Bandit today on youtube and I enjoyed the Bandit's distorted audio better.
Quote by captainsix

Yeah an overdrive pedal, on a budget check out the Digitech Bad Monkey.
Quote by captainsix
I compared the Vypyr and Bandit today on youtube and I enjoyed the Bandit's distorted audio better.
For classic rock, the Bandit is better then the Vypyr IMO.

For metal/hardrock, that's all your opinion. I wouldn't trust Youtube for very good example on what the Bandit is capable of in terms of metal, as I've seen them and they were all really bad.

The Vypyr has great metal clips, though, mostly due to the Vypyr being 100 times more popular then the Bandit (which is a little ironic since the Bandit has been in Peavey's line up for a long time).
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jan 8, 2010,
I'd suggest either a used Peavey Bandit or a used Crate GX65.

Hell, you could do both for $300.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I would suggest the biggest Vypyr you can afford. Another option would be a used Peavey Valveking.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by )(yperX

I beg to differ. If somebody gave me one I'd gut it immediately and use the case to build another amp.

If you only have $300 look for something used. You might be able to find a real amp for that instead of settling for a new make believe amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Capn_McFuzzles

If you're thinking about getting a Vypyr I would strongly encourage you to research them thoroughly first. I've had all sorts of problems with multiple Vypyrs and there are lots of videos and posts on different forums detailing all sorts of problems that people have had and continue to have, even with the new ones which have supposedly been fixed. There are some good tones to be had in them, which is why it's a shame they're so flaky, just do your research and be sure you really want to buy one first.
Dude, Roland Cube. either the 15 watt-30watt. i have the 30 watt, and its a monster for being so small!
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------