Hey guys-

New to this forum and a newbie to guitars as well. I recently traded my piano for this Epiphone Les Paul ( Ultra I believe). I want to get it identified in terms of the year and make of it. I looked up the serial and found out that it was made in Korea in 2003? The guitar looks very nice with the exception of some rust on the saddle. Also, what's the general consensus on these guitars?

Also, I wanted to get you guys' advice on the trade itself. I traded my mint Yamaha YPG-535 I bought it for $580 with warranty. The trade was for the guitar, SKB hard case, 15 watt pevey amp, and $50. Thanks a lot guys!

not an ultra
i dont see a cutaway in the back nor do i see the piezo pickups
looks like a standard quilt top? do they still make those?

EDIT:

yeah, thats most likely your guitar.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Classic-Quilt-Top?sku=518353
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jan 7, 2010,
Thank you! Do you guys think it's a fair trade and if so, what can I use to clean off the rust on the guitar?
Quote by User_Name336
not an ultra
i dont see a cutaway in the back nor do i see the piezo pickups
looks like a standard quilt top? do they still make those?

EDIT:

yeah, thats most likely your guitar.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Classic-Quilt-Top?sku=518353

I don't think that's it, the Classic has front binding. Also, I think it's more the lower-end guitars that get open-coils.

The truss rod cover is weird too: why would it say Gibson when it's an Epiphone ?

But it's definitely a legit guitar: the Guitar Dater Project gives you this.

Your guitar was made at the
Saein Plant, Korea/China
November 2003
Production Number: 0484

Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd

The Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. is located in the Namdong Industrial Complex in Incheon, Korea. Saein was established in July 1st 1991 and has a monthly capacity of 4,500pcs. In Oct 1st 1992, Saien Began manufacturing guitars for Epiphone, who they now consider to be their main business. They also started producing their own line of guitars called Shine in 1997. In February, 2001, a new factory was opened in Gaomi City, China. This factory boasts a monthly capacity of 10,000pcs. Saein was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999.

The plant has a decent feedback too, so I daresay the quality is ok.

Yeah, I think you got a pretty sweet deal !

The guitar was probably worth around 400 to maybe 600, and you got a case, an amp, and 50 bucks.
Last edited by that guy Strife at Jan 7, 2010,
who says there's no binding. you cant see anything from the top view.
the epi classic only had a binding on the side and not top. look at the picture in the link.
and if its not the classic then its the standard quilt. it has to be one of the two. both were pretty much the same guitar but the classic had open pickups. also many epi guitars use the gibson truss rod cover. pretty much half the epi's i've played had one. so i dont know what you're getting at with that one.

but the reason it SHOULD be the classic is the open coils. this guitar fits man. colour is there, quilt top, open coils, knobs and tuners varied year to year so that doesn't matter. i believe the standard quilt top had covers on pickups so it cant be that one. only other ones with quilt are custom, ultra and elitist (which you can CLEARLY see its not)
HOT DAMN you're right ! I don't know why, I saw some front binding on the guitar in the pic. My bad.

And hey, in the first picture, there's a slight view of the left side in which you can make out something that looks like binding.

Also, I just noticed, but on the pic in the link, the truss cover also has Gibson on it ...

Everything visually fits.

At least, the OP now has more info as to why his guitar is probably a classic
Last edited by that guy Strife at Jan 7, 2010,
Thank you guys. What can I use to clean all the rust and gunk from the hardware like the bridge and saddle?
I'd try steel wool, or if you're not worried about a bunch of tiny scratches than a scotchbrite pad.
Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Saein Plant, Korea/China
November 2003
Production Number: 0484

Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd

The Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. is located in the Namdong Industrial Complex in Incheon, Korea. Saein was established in July 1st 1991 and has a monthly capacity of 4,500pcs. In Oct 1st 1992, Saien Began manufacturing guitars for Epiphone, who they now consider to be their main business. They also started producing their own line of guitars called Shine in 1997. In February, 2001, a new factory was opened in Gaomi City, China. This factory boasts a monthly capacity of 10,000pcs. Saein was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999.

I used http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Epiphones are not nitro finished, they use poly-eurethane unless otherwise stated for a limited run model.
Quote by that guy Strife
The truss rod cover is weird too: why would it say Gibson when it's an Epiphone ?

because they often stick "gibson" trussrod covers on the headstock when they've run out of specific model name trussrod covers or if they don't have one for that particular model. It's not uncommon.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It's known fact Epiphone used Gibson marked truss rod covers for most of their guitars back then. After all they really are the only true licensed Les Paul other than Gibsons. I have seen 100s and owned dozens of Epis dating back to those years that had the exact same cover on every model they made. My latest Flying V GOTH had that same cover on it. Only recently in the last few years did they start using tr covers with the model names on them.

I do not see holes where the pick guard would have been or binding on the top but I do see neck binding and I doubt they would bind the neck and not the body. I am going to say it's an Epi Les Paul Classic quilt top in Trans Amber. They didn't ship those with the pick guard attached so it's possible it might have been left off and never screwed on.

I don't think you got screwed in the trade but you might have been able to do better. I have played a lot of those older LP Quilt top Classics and they are very nice guitars. I think you'll enjoy it. I think it's an awesome looking guitar Epis Quilt tops were done very good IMHO they do a better job of book matching them than most of the Gibsons I have seen and owned.

Congrats on your new guitar.

John