I do a lot of recording and playing at my computer desk, and because of how i have it set up, the most convenient way for me to set down my guitar is to lean it against my tower. The problem is that if my amp is still on or my guitar is coming out of my speakers, i can hear a huge increase in static/interference when my guitar is against my PC. Does this have any long-term effect to my pickups, or is it just harmless interference?
Its just interference... i would be careful tho cause your guitar's pickups are magnets... and magnets + technology is a no no
What i mean is is the electromagnetic field generated by my running computer harmful to my pickups in any way? I only mentioned the audible feedback to show that the guitar is being effected by it in at least one way.
Quote by MGSmaster101
What i mean is is the electromagnetic field generated by my running computer harmful to my pickups in any way? I only mentioned the audible feedback to show that the guitar is being effected by it in at least one way.

Nope not really harmful, only its harsh sounding to human ears.
You should be fine. The other way around would be more harmful, though (ie, strong magnets close to your pc).

Anyway, for a completely unrelated question, when you say 'lean against my tower', do you lean it on the neck or on the fretboard? I've been wondering what people think the best thing to do is, since both options I've seen used.

Myself I put it against the fretboard, or rather, between two frets.
Magnets are harmful to some electronics.... like tube TVs... and even then only strong magnets, like big speakers - but electronics aren't harmful to magnets.... :P
Quote by Y00p
You should be fine. The other way around would be more harmful, though (ie, strong magnets close to your pc).

Anyway, for a completely unrelated question, when you say 'lean against my tower', do you lean it on the neck or on the fretboard? I've been wondering what people think the best thing to do is, since both options I've seen used.

Myself I put it against the fretboard, or rather, between two frets.

since my case is a full-tower, it extends from underneath the desk a good 10 inches, creating a corner with the front of the desktop and the side of my case, so my fretboard is facing away from the corner

this is pretty close to what it looks like, my guitar sits right in that corner

http://i48.tinypic.com/9uugkx.jpg
Keep the two apart to be safe. Yes a Magnetic field isn't good for the storage media (ie hard drive) but you're PUs magnets probably aren't powerfull enough to erase a HD. The switching powersupply in your PC also generates magnetic fields thru all the wound inductors used in the circuitry. These magnetic fields could, theoretically degauss your PU magnets. The reason you hear more noise is the fields from the PC are being picked up by the PU windings and transmitted out the guitar.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
These magnetic fields could, theoretically degauss your PU magnets.

That's the only thing i was worried about, my HDDs are far away enough and my case is so intricate that i figured it'd act kinda like a Faraday cage and the guitar is harmless to the PC, but i'm not all that knowledgeable about guitars, the sensitivity of pickups, etc., Thanks for the help everybody
one of the great myths was that sticking a hard-drive on your tv for a fortnight would completley erase it....tried it didn`t work(was a small secondary drive(3.2GB)).

if you leave your guitar leaning against your combo/cab this can decrease the output of your pickups after a undeterminable(varies drastically depending on speakers and pups) length of time due to opposing magnetic fields......or so it says in a seymour duncan vid.
I would just say dont. I mean if theirs a chance you going to regret it a year from now just because you didnt move it.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew