20 31%
French
16 25%
Italian
13 20%
Japanese
16 25%
Voters: 65.
Hey everybody, I need to make up a first year subject at uni and I thought it would be a good idea to do a beginner language course.

Vote which one you think would be best and tell me why and I'll do it.
Learn how to talk woman. Then translate for me.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
German. I wanted to, but my school doesn't have it, so I will have you learn it in my stead
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
mormon.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Japanese. Go talk to Marty Friedman. Tell him to come back to the US.
The Clarion Call - Solo(unfortunately) music project

GEAR:
ESP/LTD EC-1000 in Dark Cherry
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 100W Head
MESA 2x12 Rectifier Cab @ 140W

Chances are, I will lurk your profile.
deff german. or ethiopian.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
i already know german and japanese...i'm going to say neither are really useful if you're only going to take the beginner courses.

beginner german would be easiest. can't say much about french because i don't know the architecture of it well enough. you'll learn the most from beginner italian because it's a standard romance language (maybe the same for french?) and beginner japanese will get you nowhere, because it's a bitch breaking from the SVO order of english to the SOV of japanese. unless you already know korean (or turkish lol), stay away from japanese. >_>
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Diamond Dave
Japanese would be cool but I reckon it might be too hard to do while overloading, I need to be able to pass the subject lol

I got an A in my class
Quote by chaoticfables
Japanese, then get laid.

Nah, French gets you laid quicker, seriously. You can say anything to a woman who can't speak French and she'll think you're the sexiest guy alive.

Je suis un pamplemousse.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Nah, French gets you laid quicker, seriously. You can say anything to a woman who can't speak French and she'll think you're the sexiest guy alive.

Je suis un pamplemousse.

But... but... hot Japanese girls don't understand French!
Quote by chaoticfables
But... but... hot Japanese girls don't understand French!

I like Maria Ozawa
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
I got an A in my class

and? this isn't something I'm looking at committing a lot of time to, I'm just one first year subject down on my course requirements and I'm in my final year now doing my full quota of subjects and I want to do one extra to make sure i finish this year.

Basically I'm looking for the easiest and most useful language to learn with the main priority being the easiest part.

Thanks for the replies so far
I say German, but use it to go to France and make the locals uncomfortable.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I took two years of german and spanish. I LOVE german. Such a fun language. And plenty of good music to listen to as well.
French cuz its common, German cuz it sounds cool and italy cuz it sounds cool... i voted for italy

im french, well bilingual, french is easy to speak but to write it is really hard. the verbs and times and stuff
boopidy boopy. boopidy bopidiy bippidy booppi.

All you need to know to be Italian. and you need a moustache.

no really i'd learn spanish. its actually pretty close to English. such as la fotographia= the photgraph.
Quote by johnny butt
latin

+1 That's what I'm taking for my language requirement at my university lol
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Eddie4President
German. It's badass.

Heil CoreysMonster, er sollte nie bannt geworden.

lol. CoreysMonster werde alte, und langweilig.

German is where it's at.

EDIT: Oh dear, it should be "CoreysMonster wird" not "werde".
All hail the BaartMan.

Gear:
-Guitar
-Another guitar
-Another guitar
-Amplifier
-A few effects pedals
-Piano
-Cat
Last edited by theBaartMan at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by Brendan.Pivin
French cuz its common, German cuz it sounds cool and italy cuz it sounds cool... i voted for italy

im french, well bilingual, french is easy to speak but to write it is really hard. the verbs and times and stuff

this is the kind of info I'm after.

Kind of annoyed French and German are so close in the poll, they're the main two I was considering anyway. I did do German in primary school which would probably help me here but its also why I think I'd rather do French because its something new.
Either German or French, both because they're easy and actually quite useful.

To learn either Japanese or Italian would be ridiculous, as they're not at all useful(no one speaks Japanese/Italian), and Japanese is ****ing hard to learn for Australians.

Du müsstest Deutsch lernen, es ist eine ganz tolle Sprache.
(I really hope that's right, I'm not quite German, you see.)
Quote by wesselbindt
Japanese is ****ing hard to learn for Australians.

I beg to differ. Pronunciation for one I'd say is simpler than the European languages. It's straight forward and said as written. Learning the text can take a while though. All of those listed are pretty useless unless you intend to travel to the country of origin.
mandarin would be most beneficial imho, but apparently tis uber hard.

but french would probs be as well, my vote goes to french
Quote by Le_Bunny
I beg to differ. Pronunciation for one I'd say is simpler than the European languages. It's straight forward and said as written. Learning the text can take a while though. All of those listed are pretty useless unless you intend to travel to the country of origin.

yeah I know, I definitely have an interest in working overseas though, particularly in Europe.
I'd go with French, since is the most common language listed. And I find it to be easier than German.
Quote by Le_Bunny

About 185 million people speak german. More than 500 million people speak french.
195 million people speak italian. But those are mostly Italians, and Italy is a crappy country anyway.
Only 130 million speak japanese.

Japanese has grammar that differs greatly from english, french german and italian don't. For Japanese you're going to have to learn an entirely new alphabet, and that's a bitch.