I searched and read the FAQ but couldn't find an answer to this specifically.

I just put new strings on my bass. Should I wait a day or two before trying to make an adjustment so the neck will settle. I didn't go up in gauge but the strings I replaced were really old and kind of stretched out. I noticed these new ones are a lot tighter.
Yeah, better safe than sorry. I was probably going to wait anyways but I figured I might as well ask here.
Check out http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html
Also http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Data/TrussRods/trussrods1.html

As far as adjustments to a truss rod with new strings though, I'd wait a few days. I find that strings take a little to settle in and sometimes the time when it settles actually removed the buzz.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
If it needs adjustment then do it, first tune it then adjust the neck you do not need to let it settle for a couple of days.
you may not need to but i found it helps - but even if you wait your gunuh have to check to make sure it hasn't moved for a little while afterwards, and id suggest not detuning for a time to let it settle
That Mad English Child 0.o
Gear: -
Fender Stratocaster
Les Paul custom
Washburn Force 4
Rickenbacker 4003
Self-hand made Electric guitar
Self-hand made Bass
and a rubbish acoustic =)
Quote by sstony
If it needs adjustment then do it, first tune it then adjust the neck you do not need to let it settle for a couple of days.
I advise you to ignore this post.
You do not adjust a truss rod with tension on the strings (ie in tune) especialy if you're adding tension to the truss rod (taking out inward bow).
You may get away with it if you're releasing tension but you're asking for trouble if you're adding tension whilst in tune.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I advise you to ignore this post.
You do not adjust a truss rod with tension on the strings (ie in tune) especialy if you're adding tension to the truss rod (taking out inward bow).
You may get away with it if you're releasing tension but you're asking for trouble if you're adding tension whilst in tune.

For your information, you don´t adjust the necks on guitars untill they are in tune. There has to be tension on the neck otherwise you wont know how to adjust. You tune - adjust, retune and adjust as needed. Small adjustments at a time. You my friend have no clue.
Quote by sstony
For your information, you don´t adjust the necks on guitars untill they are in tune. There has to be tension on the neck otherwise you wont know how to adjust. You tune - adjust, retune and adjust as needed. Small adjustments at a time. You my friend have no clue.
Well I'll leave you to it and hope you pick up the tab form the broken truss rods as a result of you poor advice.
Putting more tension on an already tuned instrument is ludicrous.
I started playing the year you were born and have been setting up guitars and mostly Basses since 1966 and have yet to break a truss rod whereas I've come across quit a few people who've broken their truss rods using your method.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
If you have never done truss rod adjustemnts take it to someone who has. The $20 to pay someone for the peace of mind is well worth it. Or you could attempt it yourself and end up forcing something then snap ooooh now you need a new bass.
Quote by John Swift
Well I'll leave you to it and hope you pick up the tab form the broken truss rods as a result of you poor advice.
Putting more tension on an already tuned instrument is ludicrous.
I started playing the year you were born and have been setting up guitars and mostly Basses since 1966 and have yet to break a truss rod whereas I've come across quit a few people who've broken their truss rods using your method.

Then you´ve been doing it wrong since 1966 !!!! You can not adjust the truss rod if the guitar is not in tune. How do you know which way to adjust without any tension on the neck. If it´s bowed inward really bad then of course you need to loosen them up a bit before trying to tune it up. BTW I set up guitars professionally and get paid very well for this, there are no and never will be any complaints about my work and how I set up instruments. Been playing since the year I was born does´nt mean shit here !!!!
Im siding with john swift here, same with double bass's and bridge adjustments, loosen the strings before doing anything.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I think there is a misundersatnding here. What I´m saying is you have to tune your guitar first so that you have a starting point so that you know which way to adjust the neck. As far as bridge adjustments well of course you need to loosen the strings, it´s pretty hard to do if there is alot of tension on them, something will break sooner or later.
But do you keep it in tune when you actually start adjusting the truss rod?
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
But do you keep it in tune when you actually start adjusting the truss rod?

If it´s a slight adjustment you wont hurt anything, but if it´s really bowed then loosen up a bit. Then after every adjustment you should retune and check your progress, be advised a little does alot. I think the reason most people who break a truss rod is because they do not understand what they are doing, and really should take it to a professional. At least that way if they screw it up then your covered.
So you are happy to force the truss rod back against a large amount of tension even for a "small adjustment".
Even after you make the adjustment you still have to leave it for a couple of hours, so leave the strings slack so the neck can comfortably adjust.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Leaving the strings slack will not let the neck adjust, and you dont have to wait a couple of hours after doing it. What you should do is play it & check after a while.
Quote by sstony
Then you´ve been doing it wrong since 1966 !!!! You can not adjust the truss rod if the guitar is not in tune. How do you know which way to adjust without any tension on the neck. If it´s bowed inward really bad then of course you need to loosen them up a bit before trying to tune it up. BTW I set up guitars professionally and get paid very well for this, there are no and never will be any complaints about my work and how I set up instruments. Been playing since the year I was born does´nt mean shit here !!!!

I think that you just come on here to take the p*ss.
Once again; if when the instrument is in tune you can see that the neck is bowed inwards it will mean increasing pressure on the truss rod if you attemp to correct this without releasing the string tension, this applies moreso on 5 & 6 string basses.
Gradual 1/4 turn incriments should be used with a re-tune each time until a satisfacrory result is reached.
Many truss rods are broken due to inexperienced bassists listening to the likes of you.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by sstony
Leaving the strings slack will not let the neck adjust, .

Are you for real or what? I've seen some stupid posts but you take the biscuit.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Guano23
If you have never done truss rod adjustemnts take it to someone who has. The $20 to pay someone for the peace of mind is well worth it. Or you could attempt it yourself and end up forcing something then snap ooooh now you need a new bass.

The problem is that if you change your string guage you will also change the neck profile. Therefore getting to know how to do it yoursaelf can save you money in the long run
If you fit heavier guage strings you will pull in the neck more creating an inwards bow which will require you releasing string tension before you adjust the truss rod.
Most Basses truss rods abjust at the nut end, some like my 65 Fender Jazz, MM Stingray 5 and old Burns adjust at the body end of the neck.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by fatgoogle
So you are happy to force the truss rod back against a large amount of tension even for a "small adjustment".
Even after you make the adjustment you still have to leave it for a couple of hours, so leave the strings slack so the neck can comfortably adjust.

If I were you I'd ere on the side of caution and release the tension, I'd hate to be the one saying "I told so" after you've broken the truss rod.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn