so im stuck in a rut im wanting to learn to play really good slap-pop bass but seeing as how i just started at it im having really big trouble. i got the slapping down its just the pop that goes along with it that's tearing me to shhreds. im trying to learn higher grounds by RHCP but im not fast enuff on my pop to get past the first three notes lol. so does anyone have any secret exercises that can spped up my popping.
-Pulse-
use a metronome, set it at a speed you can play the riff at, and practice. it'll come to you in time. If your fingers get too sore, put the bass down and have the rest of the day off.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
some of the chillies stuff is mental - there cover of higher ground is ridiculous. but keep trying m8 - its worth it.
That Mad English Child 0.o
Gear: -
Fender Stratocaster
Les Paul custom
Washburn Force 4
Rickenbacker 4003
Self-hand made Electric guitar
Self-hand made Bass
and a rubbish acoustic =)
Quote by shinhoman
use a metronome, set it at a speed you can play the riff at, and practice. it'll come to you in time. If your fingers get too sore, put the bass down and have the rest of the day off.

x

There is really no magic bullet on this, shinhoman is correct; practice while slowly building speed is the best way.
Yeah your just starting off with the slap pop. You'll need to take some time and build up to the speed of that song. So just keep hammering away at it and you will build up speed.
Try this link at youtube, it helped me out (can skip about the first half as thats really noob stuff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_--Q_BFckxs&feature=channel

Download the sample sheet and learn each stage until you know it well, do one a day for instance, until you can do the 6th one really effortlessly. Dont skip forward too fast or you wont get the benefit of good timing that repetition will give you.

My playing of higher ground sounds pretty sweet since I did that. Sometimes it pays to play something different then come back to it.
Last edited by mac_attack at Jan 7, 2010,
Slap the root then its octave all over the fretboard, best way to build speed. Then mess with other rhythms until speed can be speed up.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul