I normally take of strings put on some lemon oil onto the fretboard leave it sit for 10-15mins wipe it off well, and put some more on for 10mins wipe it off etc and then restring

this a good way to do it? anything else i should do?
Also wipe it with a cloth after you've done playing your axe.

EDIT: Its a rosewood fretboard right?
Last edited by dahelunover at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by BoL7z
Yeah it is

Oh okie, for a maple one ( or anything that doesn't have pores in it) a normal wipe with a cotton is sufficient or even guitar polish will do. But for a rosewood one, lemon oil is a cheap & good moisturizer
lemon oil for rosewood
so yes the method your doing is a good way to clean it
and is not hurting it in any way
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
Last edited by Seaweed2626 at Jan 7, 2010,
dunlop stuff. either 02, or thier lemon oil. generally thier bottles have a foamy tip for application, and then just spread it around/ get it in the tough spots (or under the strings) with a q tip and whipe off excess.
Lemon Oil is good conditioner but should be applied spairingly not soaked! First you should clean off any dirt with a cardboard scraper, or '0000' steel wool, then wipe with clean cotton cloth. The you put some lemon oil onto a clean cloth (damp not soaked) and rub it into the board. Then you immediately remove the excess with a clean dry cloth. This shouldn't be done more than couple of time a year. Ideally the fingerboard needs to be dry but not too dry. If you saturate the wood with oils it's not good.
Moving on.....
Quote by BoL7z
I normally take of strings put on some lemon oil onto the fretboard leave it sit for 10-15mins wipe it off well, and put some more on for 10mins wipe it off etc and then restring

this a good way to do it? anything else i should do?

That isn't cleaning the fretboard, It's oiling it. What you should do is wipe it down with a damp cloth first (Damp, Not soaking) And wipe off the water with a dry cloth. Then you can lightly oil it after it's dried.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
That isn't cleaning the fretboard, It's oiling it. What you should do is wipe it down with a damp cloth first (Damp, Not soaking) And wipe off the water with a dry cloth. Then you can lightly oil it after it's dried.

Ah ok i normally lemon oil it every string change every 1 - 2 months

I live in Australia and it gets pretty hot and humid here and dries out the fretboard pretty fast
Quote by dunkintate
idk but goo gone is a good way to clean strings

An Amazing Solvent but what were it ends up! It'll melt into most finishes.
Moving on.....