I just want to know if this amp can achieve newer metal type tones like Killswitch Engage, Trivium, A7X, Between The Buried and Me, etc. I know it's good for everything else, I just want to know if it canachieve the tones of more modern metal.
The Mark series are probably the most versatile amps that Mesa produces, imo. However, unless you're willing to spend the next year tweaking EQ knobs then I'd avoid them.

KsE have used a variety of amps including Framus Cobras, Hughes and Kettner TriAmps, Mesa Dual Rectifiers, Peavey 5150s, Splawn Nitros, and Diezel VH4s.

Trivium have used Marshalls (I believe JCM900s), Dual Rectifiers, and 5150s.

A7X uses Bogner Uberschalls, I believe.

I have no clue what BTBAM use, but I'm assuming Dual Rectifiers.
^^ that would be good for modern but if he wants versatility, and he has the bucks for it Mark V all the way it can do modern metal
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jan 7, 2010,
true, the mark v seems hell-bent on versatility. if you're mostly focused on heavy sounds, look for the more focused/specialized amps.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by AxSilentxLine
^^ that would be good for modern but if he wants versatility, and he has the bucks for it Mark V all the way it can do modern metal

i wouldn't be too sure about it, the tight bass ont he MkV may actually be a stumbling block towards that chugging sound that is typical of metalcore.

If those are the tones the TS is seeking, something like a Dual Rectifier or a 5150 would be a better choice. The MkV maybe a swiss army knife for tones, but that doesn't mean it'll cover every possible tone under the sun, and from my MkV, it really isn't geared towards that metalcore sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
the Dual Rectifier Roadster is just about as versatile as the Mark V but with more of an emphasis to the metal side. both can nail each others sounds and can get pretty much the same thing, but the roadster will hit the modern metal better. the Mark V will do something like classic rock better.

I'm going to shell out for the Roadster because I need more metal but still need the versatility to hit blues/jazz if necessary. If you're able, try both out. I did and chose roadster over mark v
Quote by ragingkitty
i wouldn't be too sure about it, the tight bass ont he MkV may actually be a stumbling block towards that chugging sound that is typical of metalcore.

If those are the tones the TS is seeking, something like a Dual Rectifier or a 5150 would be a better choice. The MkV maybe a swiss army knife for tones, but that doesn't mean it'll cover every possible tone under the sun, and from my MkV, it really isn't geared towards that metalcore sound.

I agree it isn't the best choice for it, but it can do Modern Metal especially with proper tweaking and maybe an OD to tighten it up. But you already know this owning one and all yeah TS there are other amps that will be significantly cheaper and can get those tones better eg. 6505, Bogner Uberschall (which i'm gasing for), Diamond Nitrox (which i'm also gasing for)
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I agree it isn't the best choice for it, but it can do Modern Metal especially with proper tweaking and maybe an OD to tighten it up. But you already know this owning one and all yeah TS there are other amps that will be significantly cheaper and can get those tones better eg. 6505, Bogner Uberschall (which i'm gasing for)

At the end of the day, the TS should aim to choose something which would get his tones without having to throw another pedal into the mix.

The Uberschall would be bowel clenchingly awesome tho.

Get the MkV for the versatility, but something else if you want the chugga chugga.

With the new Rectos, I think those would be nice... well if not for the TS... I'm sure the rest of UG would appreciate the "how does it sound" opportunity
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I have no clue what BTBAM use, but I'm assuming Dual Rectifiers.

A Mesa Mark V and Road King.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
well I have played a mark v and I know Lamb of God uses them, so you would think they could achieve brutal tones, but I found the recifier to get a much better distorion chug sound. Only problem is that the rectifier sounded a little too loose and didn't sound as good for soloing when compared to the mark. with enough tweaking, can the mesa roadster sound really tight and get a really nice solo sound comparable to the Mark V?
you can use a cab with a really tight bass response and a Tube screamer like Od to tighten up the sound

With the mark amps, i found with the traditional graphic EQ scoop pattern you can get some chug
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Paul is using a Mark V as well IIRC. Mark V's will give you a pretty insane metal tone and so much more. Dustie recorded Colors with an Orange Rockerverb though which gave his leads a weird, interesting tone (The beginning of the solo after the main White Walls breakdown, for example).