Hello, let me begin by saying I have read the Buying an Acoustic Guitar Thread and understand no one can tell me what exactly what to do. However, an opinion would be amazing.

I wanted to learn an instrument for a very long time and finally decided to actually go for it. My budget is around 150-250 dollars and after going through a lot of reviews and looking at top beginner guitars I narrowed my choices to:

Yamaha FG700S ($200)

Jasmine by Takamine S33 ($180)

Takamine G Series G340 ($250)

Now the big question. Many sources and guys at Guitar-Center said that the jump in quality for the price between a 150-250 Budget guitar and a Seagull is pretty large. Would it be worth to dish out the extra 100 dollars and get the Seagull Entourage S6 ? Or for a beginner is it pretty insignificant. And the three listed above should be sufficient for learning.

If I overlooked any other great budget guitars, or a personal favorite, please let me know as well

Many Thanks!
Last edited by Hobo4Life at Jan 7, 2010,
if you can save up enough for the seagull, i would definitely recommend it. Having played this very guitar numerous times, i can tell you that it is a quality instrument. To be honest this is not only a great beginner guitar, but it will last you far into the next stages of your playing. the sound is just incredible as well.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
the yamaha fg700s is a nice guitar - solid top, good finish, good build quality, good sound. i admit that i prefer the sound of the yamaha fg720s or fg730s, but the 700 will do fine - and will sound even better with the right strings (in my case, martin silk and steels). whether you prefer the seagull depends on your own sound and feel preferences, but yamaha and seagull are the two brands i recommend for most beginners and folks on a budget.
This all depends on how sure you are that you'll be still playing in a 6months or a year or two. If you are committed to learning and dont give up, you'll probably always wish you spent more. If you play for a month and stop you'll be mad you spent more (or even mad you spent any). I would always suggest a solid top at least on anyones first guiar. Its hard to tell different sounds when you can barely play....but get the guy at the store to do it while you listen if your going by sound.
Cheers
the cedar tops on the seagulls scratch more easily than the glossy spruce tops on the yamahas. in fact, cedar scratches more easily than spruce in general.

i'd like to point out here that you can always sell the guitar you buy if you decide to stop playing or want to upgrade.
If you can, check out the Fender T-bucket series. It's an extra 50 bucks, but it's a really really REALLY nice guitar. I'd guess it sounds a bit like the Seagull - it's bassy as hell. Plus it looks ridiculously indescribably awesome.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
um... not sure why you think it sounds like a seagull. seagulls aren't bassy at all, most are quite bright.

btw, fenders really don't have the quality of seagulls, martins, yamahas and so on.

Quote by FrustratedRocka
If you can, check out the Fender T-bucket series. It's an extra 50 bucks, but it's a really really REALLY nice guitar. I'd guess it sounds a bit like the Seagull - it's bassy as hell. Plus it looks ridiculously indescribably awesome.
seagulls have a very nice tight bass. the one i have does. and i put elixir strings to make it brighter but it doesnt work for me. i like the strings it came with. very mellow.

but seagulls are dark-ish. there not bright but not to dark. there very warm sounding.
interesting. i own 2 seagulls, an original s6 and a coastline cedar grand, and have played literally over 50 others. none of them, not even the somewhat bass-ier ones are dark. which seagull do you own?

Quote by csgunner17
seagulls have a very nice tight bass. the one i have does. and i put elixir strings to make it brighter but it doesnt work for me. i like the strings it came with. very mellow.

but seagulls are dark-ish. there not bright but not to dark. there very warm sounding.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've nothing but respect for low-end Yamaha guitars. I've been impressed every time I've played one.

Also a little rule of thumb I follow is don't trust whatever you hear at guitar center. Check out reviews online, hit up forums, and trust your own ear before you give credence to whatever the salesmen says. That's how I rock guitar center.
The Yamaha would be a good choice to start learning on and even if you upgrade after a few years I reckon you will probably still keep it. Is been said above but build quality and sound is good...takamines (the ones I have played at least) sounding and feeling a bit harsh/tinny for my liking
I've had a Washburn D100 for a few years now and it's not bad either.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil