hey i wanna learn how to play neo classical stuff so if anyone has any tips post thanks every1
Learn from others.

Ritchie Blackmore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Vinnie Moore
I guess you could count Malmsteen as neo classical.

I use the harmonic minor and diminished scales for a really scary sound.

But go and study classical music, learn Vivaldi's Summer.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Well, the harmonic minor scale is very common in neo-classical music.

But yeah, learn some licks from the aforementioned players and play around with them...see what you come up with.
Play generic Paganini-style licks on your guitar, and many will call you neo-classical.

IMO, the best way to develop a neo-classical style is to listen to classical musicians (NOT NEO-classical) and modernize their pieces yourself, and then use what you learn in doing so to write your own pieces.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
IMO, the best way to develop a neo-classical style is to listen to classical musicians (NOT NEO-classical) and modernize their pieces yourself, and then use what you learn in doing so to write your own pieces.

That would be the "purest" way of doing it, sure, but it's always worth seeing how other people have approached it. You don't have to copy Malmsteen, but it's worth the time it takes to see where he has succeeded and where he has fallen flat on his face.
Anyone know of any good neo backing tracks, I/ve looked on BT and guitarbackingtrack, all the Malmsteen stuff is really crappy midi. I found some good bach and some other stuff, 5th beethoven thru youtube profiles but really want some more.
Quote by blue_strat
That would be the "purest" way of doing it, sure, but it's always worth seeing how other people have approached it. You don't have to copy Malmsteen, but it's worth the time it takes to see where he has succeeded and where he has fallen flat on his face.

Oh, no, I'm definitely with you on that, I just feel that one would develop more originality using said "purest" method. Nothing wrong with getting some youtube lessons from the greats. It can be extremely helpful.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
ok kool. hey another quick question. i notice that neo classical uses alot of sweeps i can sweep but my sweeps always have live notes. like when i do a sweep as i come back up the the strings are still ringing so i get a lot of noise instead of a good sweep. any help for me? i play close handed. (fingers tucked in instead of the common fingers out. right hand reference.)
Quote by angel6746
ok kool. hey another quick question. i notice that neo classical uses alot of sweeps i can sweep but my sweeps always have live notes. like when i do a sweep as i come back up the the strings are still ringing so i get a lot of noise instead of a good sweep. any help for me? i play close handed. (fingers tucked in instead of the common fingers out. right hand reference.)

My advice would be to slow everything down and make sure everything is clean and in sync.
so start slow and just work myself to where i wanna be huh? kay good stuff thanks guy.
sweeping is my only problem right now. does any one have or know a lesson that can help me get faster? i find myself a little too slow when it comes to shredding
Quote by angel6746

well just slow down and really work on making it clean. you don need to do sweeps either. you can arpeggios without sweeping them. check out eric johnson. he does lots of nice chord work fist of all. he likes to do apeggios too but usually he doesnt sweep them. there are some notes you will need to economy pick for sure. hes not really neo classical, but he has a bit of classical influence as he was a classically trained pianist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnqpOFcBiMM

listen to the arpeggios at around 4:05 for example. also just listen to his phrasing and you will hear some classical influence.