Page 1 of 2
heres the deal. im strictly a bedroom player and my 6505 is a BIT much... it usually stays under .2/10 and thats only during certain hours of the day (ie...people being awake and not trying to relax). most decent amps are all made at crazy wattages (i know 60 isnt really a lot, but its too much for me), so my question is, are there any good metal amps for around $650?

bands i like to play - alter bridge, slipknot, mudvayne, metallica....basically i like a more modern sound rather than british voiced.

i certainly like multi-channel, i dont care if its combo or head/cab, and im open to tube or SS offers. new or used, i dont care.

is there anything i can do here? i cant afford an attenuator or to reamp, ALL of the funding for any new amp would come out of selling the 6505.

thanks guys.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I'd suggest a Roland JC-120, is an SS ( so it doesn't sound bad at low volumes) with so much transparency that it can take any effects exceptionally well.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Try checking out some Marshall Avt series. It sounds pretty nice, at low volumes.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
thanks for the suggestions guys, but im looking for something with a good onboard/tube distortion (i thought that was a given asking for a metal amp, but sorry i forgot to specify). there are a million low watt amps i can just throw a distortion pedal on, but i dont want to do that, hence my dilemma...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
If you don't need the volume, I'd have a look at Blackstar HT-5s. Great little amps, and though I haven't tried, they're meant to take pedals well.

It's my bedroom amp, and I find it goes well with my 6505 - i.e. it has plenty of gain for my liking. Saying that, you might want a Tubescreamer or something on top to give it more boot
Quote by sgwielder
If you don't need the volume, I'd have a look at Blackstar HT-5s. Great little amps, and though I haven't tried, they're meant to take pedals well.

It's my bedroom amp, and I find it goes well with my 6505 - i.e. it has plenty of gain for my liking. Saying that, you might want a Tubescreamer or something on top to give it more boot

yea iv already done my research on those. they are probably #1 on my list right now, but im just looking into more options.

and like i said, volume is NO issue haha, the lower the better.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
If you only use your 6505 at .2, then no, there is really no tube amp that is going to be any better at those volumes than what you have, for metal. There are 20W metal amps (Krank Rev Jr.), but if you're only using your amp at .2, it's still going to be insanely loud and you'll likely be using it at the same position on the volume knob (60w is only twice as loud as 6w).

Now as for non-tube options, I'd highly suggest a used Line 6 Vetta Combo. It has a headphone input for practicing at low volumes silently and it is also insanely loud if you were to ever need it. The Vetta is probably the best solid state amp on the market right now in terms of versatility and sound vs. price, it also has tons of built in (high quality) effects and XLR outs on the back for super easy recording.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you only use your 6505 at .2, then no, there is really no tube amp that is going to be any better at those volumes than what you have, for metal. There are 20W metal amps (Krank Rev Jr.), but if you're only using your amp at .2, it's still going to be insanely loud and you'll likely be using it at the same position on the volume knob (60w is only twice as loud as 6w).

Now as for non-tube options, I'd highly suggest a used Line 6 Vetta Combo. It has a headphone input for practicing at low volumes silently and it is also insanely loud if you were to ever need it. The Vetta is probably the best solid state amp on the market right now in terms of versatility and sound vs. price, it also has tons of built in (high quality) effects and XLR outs on the back for super easy recording.

i kinda figured that about the tube amp thing, which is why im open to SS suggestions.

ill check out the vetta though, thanks. i REALLY like the idea of a headphone jack as well.

edit: checked it out, and its probably at #2 on my list. (my imaginary list of amps to try in real life after youtube research...lol)
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jan 7, 2010,
If the Vetta is too much for you check out the Line 6 HD147. It's tailored towards metal so I think you'll like it.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
here are my thoughts so far (hopefully will help with future suggestions)

blackstar - def #1 on my "i want to try it in person" list. i like that it has an effects loop, the british/modern knob is awesome, if i bargain hunt ill probably make some money on the transaction and can snatch a few pedals in the process.

vetta - a little out of my price range after adding in a cab, but i love idea of the headphone jack that turns off the speakers.

hd147 - a little too digital sounding for me and def out of my price range.

thanks guys, please keep em coming.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
used vetta start at like 400. i saw two this past week for 400 and 450
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
used vetta start at like 400. i saw two this past week for 400 and 450

where? i scoured ebay and it told me otherwise. thanks for info. ill still end up checking it out. but my budget is FINAL....seriously haha.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
craigslist. Guitar centers used section on their website
none on CG, and GC used also told me otherwise, but ill keep checking (i LOVE GC used online...most of my gear is from there).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
GC also ships. so if you find one cheap they can ship to you.

The one i found was in north houston. not NJ but hey its hopeful
GC's used site had a ton of of Vetta Combos for super cheap last week... I bought a Vetta II Combo on my CL for $350 (or was it $300? I can't remember lol), you should be able to easily get a combo, probably with the longboard/shortboard for $650.

The HD147 is just the "metal" models of the Vetta, with some clean ones in there as well, so they are no more digital than a Vetta. I've owned many high end amps and the Vetta can easily hang with them, the effects are ridiculously cool too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
aight thanks for clarifying. i guess i saw just some rotten youtubes.

so the hd147 is a spinoff of the vetta? how is it better/worse/different than the vetta? i dont know anything about line 6 amps.

and believe me, i know GC used section ships .

id also like to mention id like to retract my comment about the price being final. if u have something outside of that range and u really think its worth it, it cant hurt to let me know for future reference.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jan 7, 2010,
there are like 6 vetta's on gc used section for under 600.
As mentioned the Krank Rev Jr Pro is great for low wattage metal, but I think its out of your price range.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
maybe some kind of randall? Dont no the prices in the US, but they are fairly good metal ss amps
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
aight thanks for clarifying. i guess i saw just some rotten youtubes.

so the hd147 is a spinoff of the vetta? how is it better/worse/different than the vetta? i dont know anything about line 6 amps.

and believe me, i know GC used section ships .

id also like to mention id like to retract my comment about the price being final. if u have something outside of that range and u really think its worth it, it cant hurt to let me know for future reference.

The HD147 has 32 models, the Vetta has 79. The HD147 has 14 cab models, the Vetta has 28 and the Armin mod can be added for a bunch more ($70 extra). There's 28 effects on the HD147 (only Wah, Delay, Modulation and Reverb), there's 104 effects on the Vetta, including Wah, reverb, delay, compressors, EQs, Overdrives, Distortions, and even a harmonizer. The HD147 has 36 presets, the Vetta has 128. The Vetta can also run two different amp models at once in stereo, the HD147 can't.

P.S. The Vetta can't even be compared to the HT-5... they are in a whole new universe in terms of tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
im not sure how much these amps cost in the US, but ide take a look at the Krank rev Jr, its a 20W all tube head, very nice amps
thanks again for the responses. im checking into randall now, but theres so many models its taking a while haha. my only question about them is versatility...

if anyone has any sound clips or links to GOOD youtubes on any of these amps, please post em. its getting difficult to find someone that has these in stock for me to try by me...

thanks again guys....any more?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by ragingkitty
As mentioned the Krank Rev Jr Pro is great for low wattage metal, but I think its out of your price range.

A Krankenstein Jr with Black tolex is only $659.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

the JR can only do classic metal, the PRO can do modern metal easily (w/o a boost)

i also recommend trying out the Randall G3+ amps
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Jhachey22

i got my rev Jr for $637
for the randalls, so far i really like the rx150rh, and the rh150g3+ is pretty cool. (by the way, id like to mention i HATE randall and ibanez's naming systems...) i know they are both high watt, but being SS keeping it at crazy low volume will be fine, which im ok with.

so far im really liking the randall rx150rh, vetta, and the blackstar.

keep the suggestions coming, or if u have any comments on any of the above mentioned amps. i probably wont get to a GC for a while to try these, so im hoping to keep this going for a while...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the JR can only do classic metal, the PRO can do modern metal easily (w/o a boost)

sorry this isnt true, i have the rev Jr standerd and it can most deffintly do modern metal, with no pedal in front of it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by wozzsta
sorry this isnt true, i have the rev Jr standerd and it can most deffintly do modern metal, with no pedal in front of it

really?

i couldnt get a good dethklok, behemoth or Bodom tone out of it.... maybe i did something wrong.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
really?

i couldnt get a good dethklok, behemoth or Bodom tone out of it.... maybe i did something wrong.

dunno maybe, turn the fx loop knob at the back to max and turn the gain up?

i got more gain than i could have used
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

i dont think we're thinking of the same amps, since there's no Pro version of the Karankenstein jr. there's a whole slew of micro heads from krank. just to make sure we all understand the different ones:

Krankenstein Jr. (Availiable in 20w or 50w)

Revolution Pro Jr. (also availiable in 20w or 50w)

Revolution Jr. (1 channel, only availiable in 20w)

there's also the Classic, based on the new Nineteen Eighty's preamp. there's no information on Krank's site, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v_S4AHJ9Mg

And yes, that is camouflage tolex on the Krankenstein Jr.
GASing so hard for one.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 7, 2010,
i thought you said rev

sowwy
feel free to add me
Look into Randall's ss amps. I just bought a RG75 and I can play it at plenty low volumes and still have good metal tone. I just keep the master volume under 9 'o clock when playing at bedroom levels.

edit: have a look at the RX75, easily within your budget & playable at low volumes
or the Kirk Hammett KH75
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
really?

No, you didn't, I have a Rev Jr. and it does not have the balls to pull off death/black metal. I have to run it with an OD808 and an MXR 10 band to get a good thrash tone out of it. I've spent countless hours fiddling with it too.

IMO the Rev Jr. (Standard) is not the best amp for metal, I primarily use mine as power amp for my X3 now.
Quote by justinb904
Look into Randall's ss amps. I just bought a RG75 and I can play it at plenty low volumes and still have good metal tone. I just keep the master volume under 9 'o clock when playing at bedroom levels.

edit: have a look at the RX75, easily within your budget & playable at low volumes
or the Kirk Hammett KH75

not bad at all....added to the "list." thanks!
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
The Rev Jr Pro is going for $599 for the head. I am considering buying one myself, maybe wait for a sale. The only issue I have is it doesn't have an attenuator so I think it's going to be loud as balls, and I hear it doesn't take pedals too well.
Quote by potatohead_33
The Rev Jr Pro is going for $599 for the head. I am considering buying one myself, maybe wait for a sale. The only issue I have is it doesn't have an attenuator so I think it's going to be loud as balls, and I hear it doesn't take pedals too well.

It still has a master volume on the krank channel, it shouldn't get too loud for practicing.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
It still has a master volume on the krank channel, it shouldn't get too loud for practicing.

Wow, thank you for mentioning that, I didn't even notice that.

Such tough decisions... The Alchemist combo is on sale too... But I think the Krank will go hard rock/metal a lot better.
Page 1 of 2