Hey UGers... well I have always wanted to know about intonation but haven't had the chance to get the right feedback from people about it... well my G string (pun intended) for example keeps going out of tune and I heard someone tell me I just need to adjust my intonation... well I am not too sure how to adjust it the right way and all the details... I kinda need some help with figuring out what intonation is and how to adjust it properly

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
If your intonation isn't set properly, the string might be in tune while it's open. But as you fret notes on that string, they'll either be sharp or flat. This causes chords and single note passages to be out of tune.
Setting the intonation is relatively easy, (unless you have a locking bridge, then it can be a real pain in the ass.)

What kind of guitar do you have?
There's my way and the wrong way.
I don't have a floyd rose so mine isn't fixed... its a Ibanez RG model with 24 frets and 6 strings

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal

Quote by rg_metal
I don't have a floyd rose so mine isn't fixed... its a Ibanez RG model with 24 frets and 6 strings

Your guitar has a 25 1/2 inch scale. To set your intonation, on the high E string, measure 25 1/2 inches from the edge of the nut, (fretboard side), to the point on the saddle where the string crosses it. You might have to move the saddle forward or back to get this measurement. To check it, tune the string, then fret it at the 12th fret and also hit a harmonic at the 12th fret. All 3 should be perfectly in tune. Once you get this, the rest is easy.
The B string should be back from the E, the thickness of the B string. Again, check it as you did the E.
The G is back from the B, the thickness of the B.
The D string should be even with the B.
The A is back from the D, the thickness of the A.
And the low E is back from the A, the thickness of the E.

A guy from the Fender factory showed me how to do this. It's incredibly accurate.
It's a good idea to have new strings on your guitar when you do this.

Hope this helps.
yes it does thank you.... although when you say the thickness of the string and back... those measurements seem really small it would seem to be hard to get it perfect

Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by severed-metal

Just eyeball it. Fretting the note and hitting the harmonic at the 12th fret will help you nail it down.
I did forget to mention this;
If the fretted note is sharp compared to the harmonic, move the saddle back.
If it's flat, move it forward.
thanks alot really needed this

Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by severed-metal

No problem.

If you get a Floyd style bridge, this method is the same. But moving the saddles is a lot more tedious.

Most guitars have the 25 1/2 inch scale. Gibsons have a 24 3/4 scale. PRS uses a 25" scale. Once you get the high E string set to the correct scale lenghth, just follow the same procedure as mentioned above.
just on a side note, if a string falls out of tune, adjusting the intonation isn't going to stop that from happening.

you need fresh strings and a better stringing technique.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
And perhaps a bit of stretching.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
and lubing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
and lubing.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jj1565
just on a side note, if a string falls out of tune, adjusting the intonation isn't going to stop that from happening.

you need fresh strings and a better stringing technique.

well I have a good stringing technique but I was thinking that I might need to do something to my tuning knobs because they are loose or something?

Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by severed-metal

you could try tightening the tunning knobs, alot of time on import guitars its a neccesary adjustment, also stringing the guitar to catch the string, well what i do is when im string the string ill wrap over the top first and then the rest of the string will wrap under the string catching and clamping it from movement
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by rg_metal
well I have a good stringing technique but I was thinking that I might need to do something to my tuning knobs because they are loose or something?

1. on a trem make sure the bridge is balanced.
2. make sure you only wrap 2-3 times around a tuner and stretch the strings.
3. make sure you lube contact points, and that strings are fresh.
4. make sure the nut securing the tuner isnt loose.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62