The title pretty much says it all. I had my guitar for about a day or two and one of the first times i played it i snapped the E string using the crappy tuner built into my amp.

So, my strings finally arrived in the mail, my question is which fret should i use to tune with... people have told me 5th...12th... and open.

My tuner is a korg GA-30 if that matters. It's in tune at the 5th fret to 1E and the 12th fret to 2B [pretty much perfectly] and open string a very flat 2B (432 hz) at the very far left of the dial.

So my question is which fret, if any do i tune it at. I'm still kind of traumatised after snapping the last string, i dont want it to happen again and not be able to play for another week, so i thought itd be a smart idea to ask before i tune the open string to 1E (if i have to...).
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 15W
[Been playing for about a week]
If you want to tune your guitar, just tune the strings like this:
(open strings)
the thickest --> E
-> A
-> D
-> g
-> b
the thinnest --> e

If you want to check your intonation, you can check if you use the 12th fret on every single string and there should also be an E (for the E string) etc. ...
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
If you broke a string you're tuning the E too high.

You should also be a t 440 hz, not 432.

You tune using the open string.

The 12th fret is used sometimes, mainly when doing intonation of the guitar. (look it up)

Lastly, the 5th fret you are referring to is when players use the 5th and 7th fret harmonics to get the strings in tune. You'll develop an ear for this later.

Tune the guitar using the open strings.
You tune all of your strings open to (starting with the thickest and going to the thinnest): E, A, D, G, B, E

If you're tuning by ear and trying to match pitch then the 5th fret on the thickest E string should be an A (or the harmonic at the 5th fret of the E string should be the same harmonic as the 7th fret of the A string), 5th fret of the A string should be a D (5th fret harmonic should be the same as the 7th fret harmonic of the D string), 5th fret of the D string should be a G (5th fret harmonic should be the same as the 7th fret harmonic of the G string), 4th fret of the G string should be a B (4th fret harmonic should be the same as the 5th fret harmonic of the B string and the 7th fret harmonic of the E string), and the 5th fret of the B string should be an E (5th fret harmonic should be the same as the 7th fret harmonic of the E string).
So i plugged the guitar into the tuner and played my newly put in thinnest e string (rest of the strings are the old ones, ill change them later) the tuner is saying its 2B

but to the right of the 12 oclock position so its sharp, i kept tuning it up and it kept moving to the right and getting more sharp, i got scared for a second thinking the string was pretty tight but i kept slowly tightening it and now it says its a very flat 4D to the extreme left of the 12 oclock position...whats up with that?

[ok so i tuned it all the way down so it was slack and tuned it back up again and now its 6E on open]

[edit again: Thanks guys for all the help! I really hope the thinnest string is 1E on the tuner because its pretty much perfectly intune and i tried the 12th fret thing it sounds little different and is about 2-4hz different than an open string but i think thats fine]
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 15W
[Been playing for about a week]
Last edited by kingpomba at Jan 7, 2010,
With new strings they need to be stretched in for the first few times of playing the guitar. You can do this by performing string bends on various frets or gently pulling the string away from the fretboard to you, be careful when you do this for the thinner strings though, it requires much less of a force to be stretched and you risk snapping them.

This is probably why you thought the string was too tight and were scared to tune it up to its proper tuning. But as you say, even tuning down and then tuning back up again helps to stretch the strings.

With regards to your OP, when using a tuner i just tune using open strings.. If you have no problems with intonation then there isn't really any problem tuning this way!

Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Last edited by Darkpagey at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by kingpomba
[edit again: Thanks guys for all the help! I really hope the thinnest string is 1E on the tuner because its pretty much perfectly intune and i tried the 12th fret thing it sounds little different and is about 2-4hz different than an open string but i think thats fine]

Well if you think its fine then thats your opinion. However, that means your intonation is off and that your guitar needs to be properly set up. If you don't know how to do this (which I'm assuming you dont) you should take it to a tech,
You don't hold a fret down when you tune with a tuner; you tune in the open string.
404: Sig not found.
Play the open string, tune up to the correct pitch, stretch your strings (as they are new), tune up again, play.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!