Im at a dilema.

Either

A. deal with 7 knobs on my Homemade SG (1 per pickup (3) 2 for the tone controlls and one master volume)

B. Lose alot of my different tone combination.

The way i have it now i can choose between

1. Series-In Phase
2. Single Coil (South)
3. Single Coil (North)
4. Parallel-In Phase
5. Series-Out of Phase
6. Parallel-Out of Phase

For each pickup in addition to just off.

Do y'all think 7 knobs is to many on a SG platform (im having a hardtime creating a layout that flows well)
You can never have too many knobs! (As long as they fit and you can actually play the thing :P
Blinded by the exertions of man
I stumble through the haze of modern malfunctions

Dropping myself into darkness
Make a few switches instead? Or add some sliders under the pickguard.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
It might look kinda gimmicky but i'd go for all seven if it improves your tone, and there aren't many guitars like that so its all good
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
imo be unique and go for it, plus you will have one tonal monster with all those switching options
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
If it is not broke do not break it!! It is those off the way outside the box things what make life more interesting. But, if you are overwhelmed by the choices why not just park the guitar for now and buy another. I think you will want to go running with scissors in your hand if you change the electronics.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Not all of them have to be knobs, like someone above me said maybe some switches or sliders.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Here are some from the collection of Frank, and now Dweezil Zappa(Collectors may want to look away, as Frank did some very odd stuff to some very vintage guitars);

The Babysnakes SG. Total knobs; 4. Total toggles; 5.

His originally-P90-equipped Les Paul. Total knobs; 6. Total switches; 3.

Frank's ES-5 Switchmaster. Total knobs; 9. Total toggles; 5.

There is no such thing as too many, my friend.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
You could simplify that setup quite easily, with one master phase switch, and have the tone pots be push/pull for series/parallel. That way you end up only have three or so knobs and two switches (One on/off for phase, the other on/off/on for north coil/both coils/south coil).

Unless of course you want individual on/off switches for the pickups themselves.
It'll look like an Alembic or something

I'd be surprised if you found you used all those knobs regularly. You'll probably quickly find a favourite setting or two and stick to that or those, but it's your instrument. By all means go mad.
Last edited by smb at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Not all of them have to be knobs, like someone above me said maybe some switches or sliders.

3 of them are 6 way 4 pole rotary switches. the other are Emg tone controls so no switches. there will be 4 mini toggles though. 1 2 turn each pickup on and off and another for the Piezo
Quote by Baby Joel
You could simplify that setup quite easily, with one master phase switch, and have the tone pots be push/pull for series/parallel. That way you end up only have three or so knobs and two switches (One on/off for phase, the other on/off/on for north coil/both coils/south coil).

Unless of course you want individual on/off switches for the pickups themselves.

that would work. if the Emg tone controls were not there own circuit/knob.

Ive spent the past few hours figure the best way to wire this up. and this is what i have came up with so far.

1 6 position 4 pole rotary switch per pickup. this takes care of the following.

1. Series-In Phase
2. Single Coil (South)
3. Single Coil (North)
4. Parallel-In Phase
5. Series-Out of Phase
6. Parallel-Out of Phase

Then there will be three more knobs one for each tone control

EMG afterburner
EMG EXG
EMG SPC

One magnetic knob
one Acoustic knob

1 mini toggle per pickup (turn each pickup on and off separately)
1 mini toggle for the acoustic pickup on or off
the power switch will not be seen.

So that is 8 knobs 4 mini toggles.thats alot im hoping i can figure out a simple way to wire this without losing any function
Go for it, sounds good to me. But you might need to make some extra room... depending on the guitar.
If you are going to use them all, then go for it. Alembic and Vigier have made instruments with a whole forest of knobs and switches. Why not?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Go for it, sounds good to me. But you might need to make some extra room... depending on the guitar.

i can make the pickup cavity bigger for sure, im just trying to organize the knobs in a fashion where they look semi-organized. will be making knobs out of spalted maple like the top or using these. http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CKM1-17/Metal_Flat_Top_Center_Guitar_Dome_KnobChrome.html
Quote by F3RR3T911

*the whole setup*

That's actually one of the sickest wiring jobs I've heard of. Nice.
About organizing the knobs, remember that you don't have to put them on the top itself. I've seen knobs on the inside of Pickguards (LP pickguards), and on the sides as well.
Oh, and i think some roller knobs (Like seen on Jaguars and whatnot) look awesome as well.

Good luck!