hey,
i'm intersted in getting a new amp, it's got to be 50 watts and my budget is £300, i was looking at a marshall mg 50, is that a good amp?? i tend to play rock and blues, and a lot of clean music. thanks,
Lewis
My Gear
+ Fender telecaster custom 72
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Fender squier strat sunburst 1980's
+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

"The Smell of Win" Rob Chappers.
Quote by lewisw
hey,
i'm intersted in getting a new amp, it's got to be 50 watts and my budget is £300, i was looking at a marshall mg 50, is that a good amp?? i tend to play rock and blues, and a lot of clean music. thanks,
Lewis

No, it's not a very good amp. And, don't think about the wattage, you can't tell how loud the amp is just by the wattage. Chech out something like a Blackstar Ht-5, might be loud enough for you.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
No, why 50W?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
people on this forum usually stay away form the MG series marshall.

I haven't tried it myself but they are supposed to sound absolutly horrible for the money.

so in order to give you some solid advice, we need to know some things.

Budget?
yup, got it 300 pounds.

Genres and bands?
rock and blues, and a lot of clean music

Home or Gig?

New or Used?

Closest City?

Current Gear?
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Diezel VH4S with Diezel 412F Cab
well i thought the higer the wattage the higher the power. i have a 15w vypyr and need something louder for a gigs. my bass player has a 175w galen and kruger amp so i want to be heard above that.
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

it.s got to be for a gig, nearest city is Bristol.. i would prefer it if it was new..
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Bass amps always have to be much higher wattage than guitar amps because it takes more power to push air at low frequencies.
maybe am epi blues custom? fender blues junior? they come in about 350 though :s

if you're going solid state the peavey bandit has decent cleans (not sure about it's OD)

at £300 and with a clear idea of what music you want to play i would avoid modelling amps personally.
What type of rock? It's a broad genre so just list a few bands you like to play/what to emulate their tone.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i'm into a wide range of bands. i like guns'n'roses , foo fighters, arctic monkeys, bloc party, ufo, jimi hendrix, them crooked vultures, van halen . i like all the different styles of rock..
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

If i'll be honest with you, i'd suggest saving your money for a much better amp in a few months time.

Such as a Blackstar HT-5 + 212 cab or Hayden Mofo + 212 cab

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
it can't be too big and it's got to be a combo. i don't have enough room for a stack yet. what would be a decent combo for gigging, with a budget of £350 and a max of £400..
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Do fender make any good combos that would follow my budget and genre??
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Last edited by Mybleedinglung8 at Jan 7, 2010,
You might be able to find a used Super Champ for that price but i'm not sure of the prices state side but it's a nice little tube amp that would definitely do rock and blues well
what does everybody think of the peavey valveking??
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by lewisw
what does everybody think of the peavey valveking??

i'd change the stock valves and speaker to get a better tone but it sounds good stock for the genres you play.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...