I really need to get this guitar out to the guy that bought it from me, but I yet to find an appropriate box. I DID however buy a big thing of bubble wrap last night, and basically wrapped the entire les paul itself, including extra bubble padding around headstock and neck joint, and slid the newly wrapped guitar in the gig bag...i even wrapped the bridge and tailpiece seperately.

But its coming from my zip code (30260) to a guy in Texas (76801)

i just checked a generic quote on shipping rate, and given the weight of the whole thing, (eh, i figured 12-14 lbs)...it came up to like $68 for ground 2 day...UPS was even cheaper

WTH!

all guitars i've gotten off ebay have only been at MOST $25 to ship.

i'm also curious as to what they'll charge me for a box and them putting all those packing peanuts inside.

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
These are questions to ask Fed Ex directly
Though Fed Ex's prices are usually a bit too high.
well any idea wth i can find a lot of these packing peanuts?

I hate to have the guy wait around, but he told me he's out of town til Monday, and i'm sure he'd rather wait a few days more for a secure package instead of me sending it out automatically just to be "fast"

I really am having a hard time finding a box the right size...dammit!

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Maybe guitar center or sam ash have an empty box they don't need that you could take off their hands
Well i just went to the local recycling area near my work and the guy let me look through their cardboard bin and i was able to find a big, fairly slim Panasonic tv box that the gig bag JUST fit in...

there's about 5" of space on each of the sides, but im going to see if i can wrangle me up the remians in the paper shredders at my work...

hopefully that will fill in the box and provide shock absorption along with the fully bubble wrapped guitar in the bag.

after that, i HOPE i can get a cheaper rate from FedEx

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
Well i just went to the local recycling area near my work and the guy let me look through their cardboard bin and i was able to find a big, fairly slim Panasonic tv box that the gig bag JUST fit in...

there's about 5" of space on each of the sides, but im going to see if i can wrangle me up the remians in the paper shredders at my work...

hopefully that will fill in the box and provide shock absorption along with the fully bubble wrapped guitar in the bag.

after that, i HOPE i can get a cheaper rate from FedEx

They charge by weight and size. That extra 5 inches could end up costing you. You don't, however, want to start cutting up the box to fit it closer to the size because they won't let you insure it then. Like OldEscape said you should try to go to as music store and get a guitar box from them. It could save you a big hassle in the end. Good luck.
Quote by cranium2001
They charge by weight and size. That extra 5 inches could end up costing you. You don't, however, want to start cutting up the box to fit it closer to the size because they won't let you insure it then. Like OldEscape said you should try to go to as music store and get a guitar box from them. It could save you a big hassle in the end. Good luck.

well, i measured the box and entered the specs in the quote section on FedEx's website...put in the weight at around 15 lbs, valued at $225...

and it came up with $39.xx for 2 day Residential Delivery

i'm happy with that

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Open an account with UPS, it's free, you enter all the info and print the label and it's way cheaper. The boxes you can get them from your local guitar store, dig them from the dumspter, don't worry, there are only boxes in there. Don't use packing peanuts, they do nothing, instead try to find the brown wrapping paper or a lot of newspaper to stuff it around the sides of the guitar so it won't move. Make sure you use a lot of bubble wrap. then seal that box, and stuff it i another box, and stuff it with newspapers so this other box won't move, at least that's what I do, and I never had any damages.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
i mail boxes etc. a guitar one time. standrd shipping from MD to SC. they said they had a box that they almost use exclusively for guitars (fits a guitar case almost perfectly). whaever. the box, packaging, fees, insurance, and shipping all came to i think it was 82.00 total. it was 20 something for the box, insurance was near 10 bucks for how much i put on the guitar, weight of everything in the hard case was 18-20 pounds, labor, and protctive peanuts or whatever all came to that amount.

i must say, IF you do, keep in mind how they put it in the box (face up) and have them put a FRAGILE and THIS SIDE UP STICKER on it. when i got my box in SC, it looked like stone cold body slammed it. the guitar was obviously sitting upside down the whole time as well. because of that, the plactic knob on my les paul pickup switch was a little cracked from the weight of the guitar on it. (not sure what it went through, but it took some abuse)

the rest of the guitar itself was ok though so sucess. also, all the junk i put in the pouch UNDER the neck of the guitar had come out. IE - there was so much comotion and the guitar was upside down, so all the picks, and misc. stuff came out of the space where it could squeeze through the furry layer on the inside of the case.

long story short, there is no telling what is going to happen over about a week with UPS. pack it well, and USE A HARD CASE.

note: inside the case, i also stuffed the headstock area with socks (to prevent almost all motion of the headtock) and tried to put a small towel/socks anywhere there was a space that could alow any excess movement. i tried hard as possible to make sure the guitar was safe.

so for 82 bucks, i feel like i got jipped. good think they atleast offer insurance. but im going to try flying it and see how that works.

1 week in the hands of UPS, or about 2 hours in the cargo hold (hopefully the coat rack inside). i dont know what is worse
Well, I packaged the box up with some hefty shredder ruffage from the office warehouse, and it feels pretty secure in there.

I wish I could've found a smaller box, but the TV box i have is quite slim, so that may cut back on the "girth" of the box.

now to just check quotes at FedEx and UPS...luckily the oens near me are right across the street from each other.

Hopefully insurance won't be too bad either since i'm only going to value it at $225. Also need to get tracking number

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables