Going to a gig soon and have one an album from all the bands playing, except one which i can't find to download. This makes me feel guilty a little, lame as it is.

Do I A) Buy an album i have already downloaded, to have its physical release, especially considering its one of my favourite albums I've heard in a long time, or B) get the album I don't have and might not like in the interest of just getting more music...

Not exactly loosing sleep, just got me thinking.
If you can't do it for moral reasons, do it for the political.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
I think you're confusing "moral" with "pointless"
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Get the album you don't already have? More music is better? I bet the band aren't losing sleep over that one album you downloaded either.
get both...as a musician, you should understand that illegally downloading music is simply wrong and it takes away from the artist. get both albums because a physical copy means more too!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Fair 'nuff, yo. I'll wait 'till I win the lottery an then buy the back-catalogue off them all.
Quote by smb
Get the album you don't already have? More music is better? I bet the band aren't losing sleep over that one album you downloaded either.

that's the kind of talk that takes away from the artist...as musicians on this site, we should really understand that if somebody is illegally downloading music, there are at least a thousand more people illegally downloading that same song/album/artist every week! it's just wrong to do!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Quote by lildude_6859
that's the kind of talk that takes away from the artist...as musicians on this site, we should really understand that if somebody is illegally downloading music, there are at least a thousand more people illegally downloading that same song/album/artist every week! it's just wrong to do!

You do realise that musicians and bands see a very small percentage of their record sales right?

I'm not saying it's right to pirate material, but seriously, I doubt they really give a shit as most of their income comes from touring/merch.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Your right tbh, and they're not exactly big time bands. I'll see what kind of funding I've got on the day. I've quit going out as much for a few weeks so maybe I'll have enough for both.

Still, if theres a green grocers on a street, an its like if you come to us in working hours and give us money (usually too much, depends where you go) we'll give you these awesome vegetables, albeit a limited selection. Then down the road there's this shop that's like, order all you want online and we'll INSTANTLY deliver all of it to your house, for FREE, and we've got everything!

Tell em which broccoli your gonna eat... It's a sad truth.
Quote by lildude_6859

Do you have any idea how much of the actual record sale goes to the artist? A very tiny amount. Most of the money bands make comes from touring, royalties from films / TV ads, merchandising, etc.

If I were in a successful band I would just be happy that people were buying tickets to see me play, as TS clearly has done. If he hadn't downloaded the album then he might not have.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Do you have any idea how much of the actual record sale goes to the artist? A very tiny amount. Most of the money bands make comes from touring, royalties from films / TV ads, merchandising, etc.

If I were in a successful band I would just be happy that people were buying tickets to see me play, as TS clearly has done. If he hadn't downloaded the album then he might not have.

yes, i understand, but that still doesn't make something ILLEGAL okay to do. i mean, you wouldn't kill somebody for no reason and everybody would just think of it as alright. a crime is a crime.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Quote by lildude_6859

When I played with a band we gave out albums for free, and made more than enough money to continue playing off of concert sales and other merchandise. Anyone who claims downloading an album is going to kill a band is misinformed.

I download plenty of songs, particularly from bands I don't know yet. When I get into the band, I go to their shows and buy merchandise. At that point, that "stolen" 10 or 15 bucks is meaningless.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by lildude_6859
yes, i understand, but that still doesn't make something ILLEGAL okay to do. i mean, you wouldn't kill somebody for no reason and everybody would just think of it as alright. a crime is a crime.

Nobody is saying it's okay, we're just saying that on an individual basis is ****ing meaningless really.

I personally don't download, but I still understand that a album illegally downloaded costs the band what, 0.1p?

Get off your high horse already.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by lildude_6859

I'm pretty sure if someone murder a guy like Osama Bin Laden (or any other over-advertised "public threat") very few people would complain.

As with everything, it depends on the situation.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by lildude_6859

I don't think you can really compare downloading music and murder.
Quote by Confusius
It's not so much of a high horse problem but an "I don't make any fucking sense when I talk" problem.

I think you may be on to something here....
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Look at it this way: Either way you are going to pay for an album. Why not pay for something new? Later on if guilt is gnawing at your soul you can buy the other album.
🙈 🙉 🙊