Page 1 of 2
Quote by br33dlove
Pretty sure Cubase can but I don't know any which solely convert Midi to MP3/WAV

Haha I am using Cubase as my interface, and I have imported a MIDI drum track into it and recorded audio parts over it, but when I come to export it it seems that Cubase is incapable of exporting MIDI, which is why I am trying to find something to convert the MIDI drum track into something usable.
Quote by Random3
Haha I am using Cubase as my interface, and I have imported a MIDI drum track into it and recorded audio parts over it, but when I come to export it it seems that Cubase is incapable of exporting MIDI, which is why I am trying to find something to convert the MIDI drum track into something usable.

You need to set up an audio track and set it to "record what you hear" if you are using the onboard sound card, in the windows control panal or play it and solo the midi track and the audio track you are recording to and hold a mic up to your speakers, I have had to that before.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Can you not find a VST to play your midi track? Then it'll record.

Then again, i don't know what the midi track's playing... If there's a VST that sounds good for it, though, go for it (they're usually better than midi?)
Quote by Gerbs

Then again, i don't know what the midi track's playing... If there's a VST that sounds good for it, though, go for it (they're usually better than midi?)

This, forgot about that option. I have Sonar that comes with Dream Station, I have never used it but that what it does indeed.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Quote by Gerbs

I have the RSE for Guitar Pro, and I am exporting the drum track from GP. Any way I could use the RSE?
you can export as WAV from GP5, which you just said you have
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Random3

So "Export" --> "Audio Mixdown" doesn't work?

Edit: remember to have the left and right...things...set as well
Quote by br33dlove
So "Export" --> "Audio Mixdown" doesn't work?

Edit: remember to have the left and right...things...set as well

Export Audio Mixdown does work, but it does not export the MIDI, only auido. I checked the Cubase readme and it says Audio Mixdowns will not include MIDI.
Quote by Random3
Export Audio Mixdown does work, but it does not export the MIDI, only auido. I checked the Cubase readme and it says Audio Mixdowns will not include MIDI.

I'm pretty sure it turns the MIDI into and audio file, mind you I haven't done any Music Tech in almost a month.

Have you tried it though?
Quote by br33dlove
I'm pretty sure it turns the MIDI into and audio file, mind you I haven't done any Music Tech in almost a month.

Have you tried it though?

Yeah I've tried exporting it and all I get is the guitars I recorded over the top, and no drums
Goldwave - any version at 5.12 +. it's one of the best editors and converters I've used. Google.
Quote by Random3
Yeah I've tried exporting it and all I get is the guitars I recorded over the top, and no drums

Are they MIDI and have you selected them?
Quote by Random3

You should be getting the drums too if you're exporting audio mixdown. Which version of Cubase are you using?
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Random3
The drums are MIDI, how do I select them? I put the bar parameters around the whole project so it exports the right length if that's what you mean.

Faultyy, it's Cubase LE4

Just click on the bar to select it.
The only thing I can think of is that some of the settings are messed up in Cubase, give me 10 mins, I'll load mine up and see if anything stands out.

I'm using Cubase 5 but I can't imagine the options have changed that much, it's not much different to the copy of SX3 I used to use.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Quote by Random3
That sounds a little too obvious but I'll give it a go

They're not gonna make it difficult
What software are you using for your drums? and are you opening it in VST instruments, then assigning a MIDI track to it?

If not do this, VST instruments is under devices, then you add a MIDI track and set the VST instrument(drum software) as the output

What I was doing was exporting the drums from Guitar Pro, opening a new project in Cubase, and clicking Import -> MIDI.

Under the Devices tab, it says MIDI Device Manager, Mixer, Plug-In Information, VST Connections, VST Performance, Video, Show Panel and Device Setup.

Can you run me through what you mean by "open it in VST instruments" please because I am a bit confused
I have no idea

It might be that there is no instrument selected. If that's the case then on the Channel Settings tab (on the left) select an instrument.
Ah, sorry thought you were using something like addictive drums and drawing up the drum track in Cubase.

The reason you're not getting any sound is because there's nothing in Cubase to turn the MIDI notes in to any sort of sound, if that makes any sense.

The menu on your Cubase is a bit different to mine too. VST instruments may be in VST connections somewhere, it opens a small box with drop downs in, when you click the drop downs it will have a list of VST programs on your computer.

Cubase may have its own drum program so if it does open it, then set the output for the MIDI track to that program... Actually, have a look in the output for the MIDI track first, the VST instruments could be in there as I'm assuming LE is meant to be a more simplified version.

The only output options I have are the Audiobox and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, I don't know if there are any VST instruments on the computer or that came with Cubase, and I'm not actually sure what VST is. Is it a digital instrument track?

I also don't quite understand why Cubase would let me import a MIDI track if it then can't export it with everything else
I think a lot of things Cubase does are done completely at random, for example I've fixed a lot of problems by just coming back to it a bit later lol.

A VST is pretty much just a digital instrument, the MIDI track just gives it instructions. Can you import the drums as an audio track from Guitar Pro?

Failing that, if you dont mind a bit of software thieving Addictive drums is pretty easy to find on torrent sites and sounds a million times better than Guitar Pro drums, it's also a bit easier to use with Cubase as there isn't any import/export stuff to worry about.

I think it will let me import the drums as WAV, but when I export them from GP it is very jumpy because I think the RSE is overloading the CPU... And then when I try to import it into Cubase I get the correct length, but silence as if it didn't record.

I'll have a look for Addictive Drums in a bit, can you tell me basically what it does and how the easiest way to use it with MIDI GP drums please cheers
I have just downloaded Addictive Drums, eventually managed to install it after unzipping the same file that appeared to be an audio file twice, and it has installed the elements of the program but no actual program to run. I have deleted the files as when I clicked uninstall it said the files couldn't be found.

This is really starting to annoy me, all I want to do is put drums in recordings that I make on Cubase and export them together as an audio file! It cannot be this complicated.
MIDI is not sounds - it's a data file. Each "note" in midi tells the computer to look up a particular sound in it's database and then plays that, that's why it's so easy in midi to take something that sounds like a piano and make it sound like a guitar - you just change the folder it takes it's notes from.

So you'll need a MIDI player, which can output MP3, helpful as i am i don't know many which are free any thing you have paid for (or "obtained") worth it's salt will have one built in.
Thing is, I can't find any. All I can find are trials that let me convert 1 minutes worth of MIDI or full on programs I have to pay for, which I don't want to do unless I am certain it will do what I wan't it to do, and I would rather not seeing as how I got an Audiobox with Cubase for Christmas...
Bump

Sorry guys I just need to know asap if I can somehow take the drums from Guitar Pro and put them into Cubase to be exported as an audio file. I have been trying for weeks and I can't figure anything out at all and it's beginning to look like my Dad paid a load of money for an Audiobox, mic and Cubase and I am unable to actually export complete songs from it.
Quote by Random3

Ignore the others. If you have halion on, set it to setereo drum track. It'll take the midi data used for the drums the same way it uses midi data for notes etc. It's a better sound too!
Quote by Random3
I have no idea what Halion is, can you explain what you mean please

It's the stock synthesizer that comes with cubase. It's a VST. Import the midi file, then change the "instrument" to halion one, and find a drum patch you like. You gotta export the guitar pro file as midi though, which is easy.
Page 1 of 2