I start playing whit a classical guitar and now, I'm looking for a acoustic guitar. I played for a long time and my budget is around 2000$ for my new guitar. Can someone help me for brand and wood type??
For fingering, cherry and indian rosewood are very good... I like Adirondack red spruce on top for a great projection...

For the brand, you have the choice... Martin will have a great resale value, but expensive... If you want to keep it for a long time, you can try Larivée, Boucher or Richard. Richard have great prices and features, but only on direct sales, it's harder for you to try it. You can find Boucher everywhere in Quebec, and Larivée everywhere... For the price, I chose a Richard... I got more for my money... But I was near to buy a Larivée... Good shopping Markpro!
i don't think brand or wood type is the way to go because within any one brand are guitars with different features, and different guitars can sound different even when using the same wood. i've been finger picking for many years, and have loved all sorts of spruce and cedar for finger picking, and many rosewoods, koa (!), and sometimes mahogany or sapele, but there are other woods that also sound good when finger picked.

to start, maybe you can give us an idea of what sounds you like or whether you prefer a wide or narrow neck.

i suggest you go to local music stores and play everything you can - start with gibsons, seagulls, martins, blueridges, taylors, and go from there.
Last edited by patticake at Jan 7, 2010,
For fingerstyle (I play on a steel string, but these woods probably work equally as well for nylon) I wouldn't recommend a spruce top usually. I say try to find a cedar top, or even if you get lucky in your price range, redwood. If you snag a redwood top guitar, you will be in fingerpicker heaven. I played a Breedlove Focus SE, redwood/rosewood, and wow, that thing was beautiful for fingerstyle. Super warm and very responsive. Spruce tends to be a loud, chord-loving wood, however, it does still sound quite good for fingerstyle, but I find it to be less pleasing than it's popular opposition, cedar.

For brands, look at Larrivee, Breedlove, Stonebridge, Collings, and Taylor. There are tons of other brands too, those are just my recommendations. We will all probably suggest you go to a music store and play every single acoustic you can to find what really sparks your interest. Its all personal preference.
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by markpro
I start playing whit a classical guitar and now, I'm looking for a acoustic guitar. I played for a long time and my budget is around 2000$ for my new guitar. Can someone help me for brand and wood type??

If I had 2k I wouldn't go anywhere else but a Taylor. But that is just my personal preference. But I don't have 2k either. Bummer.
for 2000$ I would look at higher end larrivees.
L shape has a nice tone for fingerpicking imo.
Quote by fingerguy
If I had 2k I wouldn't go anywhere else but a Taylor. But that is just my personal preference. But I don't have 2k either. Bummer.

Thats pretty close minded. How can you limit yourself to a single brand? There are many, many companies with beautiful guitars in that range, and I can gurantee some would blow Taylor's out of the water at the price.
i primarily fingerpick, and if i had $2000, and no shoulder injury, i'd get an eastman ac822 - amazing sound, finish and feel for the price (i saw it for $1600). as it is, i have to get a parlor and would consider blueridges, but would also check out a few gibson L-1s. if i could stretch a couple more hundred, i'd also consider a taylor gc8 - they're really sweet, and sound great fingerpicked. i'd also at that price range consider a gibson j-45, although i'd have to bargain for it.

a few i like without regard to any particular size, but all with 1 3/4 nut:
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/51492
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OP09VC.htm
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-OM21-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=583631
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-Co1-Contemporary-Vintage-F30-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512089
Thanks for all your advise!!
I try some brand, Taylor, Martin and other this weekend at Montreal. I try a cherry from Martin and i fall in love, but it's a bit over my budget. I discovered Richard guitars, I call and they let me visit here shop in Sherbrooke near Montreal. I try some model, in indian rosewood, flame maple, mahogany and cherry like the Martin. All here guitars has a Adirondack top. The neck is very easy to play, 1 3/4 to the nut, not so far of the classical guitar at 2, the action of string are soft. Finally I bought a N55/cherry at 1895$ and no TAXES for January I could pass by the custom shop but I decided to take the one in stock.
Mark, you have it with you? You can put pictures of your guitar on the "Richard guitar" thread...

Where you live Mark?
Yes I got it !!!! I live in Newmarket Ontario.

I will post pictures on ''Richard Guitars'' tread
Quote by Silverstein14
Thats pretty close minded. How can you limit yourself to a single brand? There are many, many companies with beautiful guitars in that range, and I can gurantee some would blow Taylor's out of the water at the price.

it's not closed minded, the guy just knows what he likes. Is it possible that he's already tried out Taylors and many other brands in that price range and ended up liking Taylor the best? Don't judge someone's taste, there's no standard for it to go by. Besides, BLOW Taylor out of the water? That's a bit much, and I doubt it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
it's not closed minded, the guy just knows what he likes. Is it possible that he's already tried out Taylors and many other brands in that price range and ended up liking Taylor the best? Don't judge someone's taste, there's no standard for it to go by. Besides, BLOW Taylor out of the water? That's a bit much, and I doubt it.

Not a bit much at all, I've played many acoustics in the same value range as Taylors, and some of them are much nicer, usually for cheaper. I find that Taylor is a lot of money for a well known name. Now before you folks get all angry, this is me personally, they are beautifully crafted, but for the price, I've played much better.

And there is no possible way he has played every guitar in that price range available that he can be comfortable enough to say he'd get a Taylor without question basically. Im not trying to start a flamewar, it seems like this section is a lot touchier than it used to be. Im just saying, there are plenty of incredible guitars out there in this guys range(even though it seems he's settled on one), and it would be closed minded to select which kind you'd get without even looking.

Also, regardless if the person tried every BRAND or not, 2 of the same model guitars made by the same company can sound much different. I've experienced it.

Oh well, trying to voice your thoughts only gets you in trouble these days apparently. Pretend I didn't say anything.
Not a bit much at all, I've played many acoustics in the same value range as Taylors, and some of them are much nicer, usually for cheaper. I find that Taylor is a lot of money for a well known name. Now before you folks get all angry, this is me personally, they are beautifully crafted, but for the price, I've played much better.

And there is no possible way he has played every guitar in that price range available that he can be comfortable enough to say he'd get a Taylor without question basically. Im not trying to start a flamewar, it seems like this section is a lot touchier than it used to be. Im just saying, there are plenty of incredible guitars out there in this guys range(even though it seems he's settled on one), and it would be closed minded to select which kind you'd get without even looking.

Also, regardless if the person tried every BRAND or not, 2 of the same model guitars made by the same company can sound much different. I've experienced it.

Oh well, trying to voice your thoughts only gets you in trouble these days apparently. Pretend I didn't say anything.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're such a victim.

And you're right about it being you personally. That's why you cant say that you can guarantee what guitars in what price range will blow another one out of the water. If he likes Taylors...that's just HIM.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
"Yes, you're such a victim.

And you're right about it being you personally. That's why you cant say that you can guarantee what guitars in what price range will blow another one out of the water. If he likes Taylors...that's just HIM."

Never claimed to be a victim, just saying that voicing your opinions in here gets you in trouble. I just don't feel like dealing with classic flaming.

He can like Taylor's all he wants, I never said he couldn't. Im just saying that it is quite close minded to say you would 100% buy that company without even trying some. Im an absolute Breedlove fanatic, yet if I had the cash to spend, I wouldn't just go out and buy one without looking around. Realize that no matter what I say, you will still continue to think the way you do, and whatever you say, I'll continue to think the way I do. It's the way it works, trying to change peoples opinions is impossible so I'm not going to try.

Also, you seem to be speaking a lot on his behalf. If he wanted to defend what he said, he could of done so completely fine. I would of been 100% open to hear his argument. You had no part in it really, but decided to pick a battle for fun I guess.