I am really having trouble with my voice. I have recently written and recorded a sort of grungy/metal song, and the tone of my voice sounds very painful and unpleasant to listen to in my opinion. It sounds nasal perhaps, but also it doesn't sound powerful or rocky I think. But if I try to sing any lower, then I sound out of tune. I ripped the vocal tracks from my song and I was wondering if you could listen to the MP3 on my profile called "My Singing" and tell me what you think, can you tell me what is wrong with it (even if it is everything...) and what I can do to improve this singing, and put those wrongs right. By the way, from 2:30 to 3:20 there is silence because there would be a guitar solo there, so when you get to 2:30 just fast forward to 3:20.

I was also wondering what type or range of voice you think I have? This is the first song I've tried to sing a little higher, because on my other tracks on my profile page (particularly "Jackal of Downtown") my voice is very low I think. I prefer to sing like that low, but then people say I sound like a guy, and that my voice doesn't sound "right".

Anyway, thanks for your help!
reminds me of the mighty boosh!
really sounds like your singing quietly on purpose.
be more confident and work on sustaining notes.
as for jackal of downtown, your just talking more than singing.
theres some great ebooks on improving your singing and finding and expanding on your vocal range out there.
practice practice practice.
sounds like you just need to open up a bit. try yawning loud and make a high note with your yawn. it simulates what those high notes sound like with a more open diaphram.
yutyoy's suggestion is good.
also just practice as much as you can, work on scales (use a keyboard or well tuned guitar for reference.)
and again, be more confident and dont rely so heavily on effects.
Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried what yutyoy suggested, but still everytime I go to sing high, naturally my voice ends up doing this. The front of my nose vibrates when I sing like this, and it feels like it's my head voice, rather than it coming from my lungs. But even when I do try to put my singing a little more in my throat...I still get this sound.
Quote by GirlGerms
Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried what yutyoy suggested, but still everytime I go to sing high, naturally my voice ends up doing this. The front of my nose vibrates when I sing like this, and it feels like it's my head voice, rather than it coming from my lungs. But even when I do try to put my singing a little more in my throat...I still get this sound.

Answer is pretty simple. You need to practice. Just this. Find a teacher, or, if you can, do studies alone. Sing along with your favorite singers etc. Usual stuff...

your vocal is amature at this time. practice and do not worry if something isn't quite like you want.