Is the design of the guitar crucial for a good tone? I want to build my own and want to know if there is any specific way I should design it. Im thinking about buying a slab of wood, cutting it length wise and hollowing out the thicker half. Then I will glue the thinner half on top of the hollow half (sort of like a lid and pot). Its a simplistic idea and design but im wondering if it will sound decent?
Free Mumia
This should be in the Gear Building and Customising section.

But.

I'd say keep the top one piece of wood, that you hollow out from below. And then glue a back on it.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
to be on the safe side, i'd stick to a more traditional looking hollow body and maybe try to replicate what they look like on the inside. i wouldnt believe it should matter so much because the sound comes from pickups not the wood/sound resonating like in acoustics, but its better to play it safe i think.
Okay. Now that you are in the GB&C.

It shouldn't make too much of a difference. What the guy two posts above me said is in part, wrong. Because it has chambers, it will sound different from a solid body of the same shape etc.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
i just finished building a hollowbody.. i think pretty much the mroe hollow space you have, the more acoustic it will sound. you can add in a sound hole or two aswell.

like, you can make any guitar a hollowbody, like a lespaul, or tele. if your looking for something that has alot of acoustic power, youl want a bigger body, with a couple soundholes.

if your looking to just cut down on weight, then just hololow whatever shape you want out lol