Hey all,

Question about wrist and hand strength. I'm not really sure if this is really a musculoskeletal issue so much as it is a technique issue? You be the judge.

Every day, right after work, I sit down and work on my scales and speed exercises with my handy dandy korg ma-30. It being the new year and all I've been going at it especially had lately. As the speed increases I notice physical pain (kinda like when you lift weights, that kinda pain) along the back of my forearm and in the thumb muscles of my picking hand.

Is this to be expected? Am I doing something wrong suddenly? I've never experienced this (this consistently, anyway) in the past but, then again, I haven't been playing this hard in a few years.

Any advice/ideas would be great! Thanks interbits friends!
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
I kinda ran into this recently just before Xmas . I was pushing myself hitting 16th Notes at 200 bpm (13.3 notes per second) . While i was capable of hitting it at my peak i noticed that i was starting to get pain shooting up my arm that would last for a while .

I took abit of time to look at my picking technique (which i thought there was nothing wrong with) and turned out that i was picking more from my arm . So i painstakingly retrained myself to pick solely from the wrist and although it has slowed me down to 180 BPM im feeling no pain whatsoever .

My guess is really look into what's moving when your picking , if there is pain your straining/tensing up too much . Although it sucks to find out your technique is alittle off you just gotta take it on the chin and improve .
Quote by rotzak
Hey all,

Question about wrist and hand strength. I'm not really sure if this is really a musculoskeletal issue so much as it is a technique issue? You be the judge.

Every day, right after work, I sit down and work on my scales and speed exercises with my handy dandy korg ma-30. It being the new year and all I've been going at it especially had lately. As the speed increases I notice physical pain (kinda like when you lift weights, that kinda pain) along the back of my forearm and in the thumb muscles of my picking hand.

Is this to be expected? Am I doing something wrong suddenly? I've never experienced this (this consistently, anyway) in the past but, then again, I haven't been playing this hard in a few years.

Any advice/ideas would be great! Thanks interbits friends!

If it's they same type of pain as weightlifting, that's good. That pain is your muscles being ripped apart so they can be reformed bigger and stronger.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Its probably normal as you aren't used to practicing as much as you are now.
If your concerned about it look at your picking hand and see if your applying too much pressure. You don't want to be hanging onto your pick for dear life, but you don't want to hold it so that the pick just falls out of your hand either.
Possibly, you are applying pressure to your wrist which could cause carpal tunnel.
You should probably just keep practicing as much as you are now and if the pain persists try to pick a different way.