okay so here's my story.

a few months ago after i started college i noticed my amp was losing gain and bass, and i was getting static when i hit my strings too hard on the clean channel. i decided it must have been a tube problem, so i came to UG in search of answers and UG happened to agree with me.

so, it's January, i'm on Holiday break from school, and i ordered tubes from tubedepot.com a few days ago. a complete re-tubing of my amp with JJ's. the tubes come today, i plug em in and surely the gain and bass are back, but the crackling on the clean channel still persists and the sound is very muddy...the same problems i sought to fix by replacing the tubes.

i tried different guitars so it's not my guitar, i turned off my FX loop thinking it could be that but it wasn't...the only things i can think of next are my cables but i don't know if such problems can occur with cables.

is there something i might be missing? are these the symptoms of something else going wrong in my amp?

i own a Mesa Stiletto Deuce that i purchased only a year ago, and it sounds nothing like it did then. i love this amp to death but lately it's been giving me nothing but grief.

any help is appreciated
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jan 7, 2010,
A complete retube meaning pre and power tubes?

Could be dirty jacks or pots too. When I got my Triple it was cracking quite a bit. Went through it with a qtip and contact cleaner and it solved the problem 100%.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
yes i changed all of the tubes, pre amp, power amp, and rectifier.

that's a good idea, but i don't see how that would help the muddyness, my gain channel sounds completely different and not really for the better.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
yes i changed all of the tubes, pre amp, power amp, and rectifier.

that's a good idea, but i don't see how that would help the muddyness, my gain channel sounds completely different and not really for the better.

Well, that could be the JJs...

Stupid question: Have you tried to EQ it out? I find that there always needs to be some EQ adjustment after a tube swap.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
yep i tried adding treble and lowering the bass, but it still doesn't sound too great.

and i dread the idea of brand new tubes being defective...especially with the same problems my older dying tubes had. i think something else is going on, i just can't figure out what.

i'll definitely try cleaning the amp though.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
yep i tried adding treble and lowering the bass, but it still doesn't sound too great.

and i dread the idea of brand new tubes being defective...especially with the same problems my older dying tubes had. i think something else is going on, i just can't figure out what.

i'll definitely try cleaning the amp though.

Matched impedance on the cab?

Using SS or Tube rectifier?

Are you running through pedals or straight into the head?

Anything in the FX loop?
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by TheRectified
Matched impedance on the cab?

Using SS or Tube rectifier?

Are you running through pedals or straight into the head?

Anything in the FX loop?

my cab is an 8 ohm cab, and i'm using the 8 ohm output on my amp.

i use the SS rectifier for my gain channel and the Tube rectifier for my clean channel.

and no i have nothing in the fx loop
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799

i use the SS rectifier for my gain channel and the Tube rectifier for my clean channel.

Ha! I do the exact opposite.

You got me stumped. The only thing I can think of is there is either something wrong inside the amp you got got bad tubes.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
i'm pretty stumped too

anyone else with any suggestions?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

You mentioned cables:

Try swapping through different ones just to rule that out.
A bad cable could certainly cause some of those symptoms.

Also regarding your power tubes...
I'm sure you didn't adjust your bias (can't, thanks Mesa...), so that's a total shot in the dark.
Maybe you got lucky with identically rated perfectly matched tubes, maybe you didn't.

If they differ even slightly from your original tubes, your bias is going to be different than it was. Best bet is either a bias adjust mod or always use Mesa tubes with the same rating.
will swap cables for sure.

and about the bias thing, i know Mesa's are fixed bias, but would a change in bias make the sound muddy like that? i thought Mesa's weren't supposed to be so temperamental when it came to things like tubes and cabs?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
will swap cables for sure.

and about the bias thing, i know Mesa's are fixed bias, but would a change in bias make the sound muddy like that? i thought Mesa's weren't supposed to be so temperamental when it came to things like tubes and cabs?

Mesas are biased so cold that I doubt it would make a different. I've been swapping tubes on my Mesas for years and never biased them and the only time I've had a muddyness issue it was a tube thing.

Try this...

Swap your V4 and V5 tubes. Last time my Recto got really muddy my phase inverter went. I swapped it with V4 (effects loop) which I never use and it solved the issue.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
will try everything mentioned.

thanks guys
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction