Ahoy Pit,

Just seeking some knowledge or general help about remote control helicopters!

I'll admit, this is a cheap and cheerful electric mini helicopter that I received off my girlfriend as a christmas present and it's been absolutely fantastic fun but one day after returning from work my brother told me it wasn't flying properly.

So this was news to me as it was flying perfectly the night before, but instead of hovering and flying like it was, it seems to have a very bad stability problem.

When in hover it used to stay dead on still. Now it fly's around in circles (imagine it as when you spin a coin - that kind of motion) and then trying to fly forward it just goes uncontrollable and the motion of the circles just propels itself off in any direction and crashes.

Are there any r/c heli users or any known good helicopter forums? (I've googled but they seem rather specfic to professional use)

There doesn't seem to be any damage at all to the chopper, but the stability bar above the top rotor seems to have its own mind. More pics can be taken on request!

Thanks for any help guys!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Check out the tail rotor? Might be off centre or something. That's what keeps a helicopter stable iirc.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Your driveshaft needs correcting. Even the tiniest bit off centre and that will happen. Don't worry about how I know that, it's just true

Looks to me like your brother crashed it into a wall while you were at work and knocked it out.
Quote by entity0009
Check out the tail rotor? Might be off centre or something. That's what keeps a helicopter stable iirc.

Tail rotor is fine really, works perfectly. Even the main rotors look fine when used and i'm holding it, however when it gets into the air its a different story

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Your driveshaft needs correcting. Even the tiniest bit off centre and that will happen. Don't worry about how I know that, it's just true

Looks to me like your brother crashed it into a wall while you were at work and knocked it out.

I don't think I have a flux capacitor fitted, do you think that'll help?

To be honest I thought it's going to be him...but he denies it. Saying "it wasn't working when I had a go of it"....bastard...

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

To be honest I thought it's going to be him...but he denies it. Saying "it wasn't working when I had a go of it"....bastard...

80% of the time that translates as "I did it >_>"
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Chrisiphone
Tail rotor is fine really, works perfectly. Even the main rotors look fine when used and i'm holding it, however when it gets into the air its a different story

I don't think I have a flux capacitor fitted, do you think that'll help?

I might have used the wrong word there... I meant the rod that is connected to the main rotors.
It has these dooblies inside the body of the helicopter that make it spin around, which in turn makes the blades spin and makes it fly. If it gets bent, or any of the dooblies that make it spin get knocked out of place from the blades getting a knock, then it won't spin around completely straight and the blades will go around at a slight angle, making it fly wonky.

I'd check that first, if it's possible to take it apart...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I might have used the wrong word there... I meant the rod that is connected to the main rotors.
It has these dooblies inside the body of the helicopter that make it spin around, which in turn makes the blades spin and makes it fly. If it gets bent, or any of the dooblies that make it spin get knocked out of place from the blades getting a knock, then it won't spin around completely straight and the blades will go around at a slight angle, making it fly wonky.

I'd check that first, if it's possible to take it apart...

I'd certainly do that if I knew how

The 'copter's tiny so it's not using anything precision or teeny little dooblies inside it.

Effectively it's a single motor turning two gears of the same size in opposite directions, sending one rotor clockwise and the other anticlockwise with the support bar.

E-Married to Funny_Page
I have a little £5 rc helicopter, it usually does the same thing when the rear rotor isn't dead straight....which is damned near impossible to do anyway.
Quote by Chrisiphone
I'd certainly do that if I knew how

The 'copter's tiny so it's not using anything precision or teeny little dooblies inside it.

Effectively it's a single motor turning two gears of the same size in opposite directions, sending one rotor clockwise and the other anticlockwise with the support bar.

yeah, the support bar bit has to be perfectly aligned or it won't spin straight. Can you do anything from the underneath of it? that's the only real advice I have, sorry
Ah yes, the joyous R/C chopper. I've used this to lure many little kids into my cellar

I'm not sure what's up with it, but to me those propellers look ****ed up. This could be the cause......
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
yeah, the support bar bit has to be perfectly aligned or it won't spin straight. Can you do anything from the underneath of it? that's the only real advice I have, sorry

I don't think I can

I can make it take off sometimes perfectly fine, but if a convection current or rear rotor throttle knocks it that makes it spin out of control...
Thank you so much for your help though! It's truely appreciated.

Quote by padgea7x
Ah yes, the joyous R/C chopper. I've used this lure many little kids into my cellar

I'm not sure what's up with it, but to me those propellers look ****ed up. This could be the cause......

Oh hey Mr Fritzl!

They're on hinges pretty much, makes it more crash resistant.

E-Married to Funny_Page
I have this exact heli and I can tell you that its not the rear rotor, all the rear rotor does is control if the heli goes forward or back.

Have you tried the trim control on the controller, its the dial on the centre of the controller. Im always having to adjust it to stop the heli spinning wildly.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Chrisiphone

That's about the most overused excuse of all times.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

TS, another possibility is that one of the rotors is loose, causing wobbling and loss of stability. Are there any screws or bolts loose on the rotors?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by halikus
I have this exact heli and I can tell you that its not the rear rotor, all the rear rotor does is control if the heli goes forward or back.

Have you tried the trim control on the controller, its the dial on the centre of the controller. Im always having to adjust it to stop the heli spinning wildly.

It's not like its spinning on its rotor axis it's spinning like an out of control gyroscope.

Like what happens when you spin a coin, the donut shaped path it follows.

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'm sure your brother believe it was screwed up before he tried it out because he crashed it into a wall afterward.

Anyway, adjust the trim is all I have to give you as advice. Anything else is going to be a pain to do for something so cheap.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Check is one of the weights on the stabilizer rotor on the top as if that goes wrong it will do just what you describe.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso