Lately my barre playing has become infinitely better. I'm able to hit most of the basic barres, Em, Emaj, Amin, Dmaj, even the odd Cmaj one sometimes. Most of these I can hit fluently and sometimes even use them over open chords. But my one trouble chord is an Amaj. How do you guys barre this chord? I've always used my pinky and ring finger and kinda double barred the three strings. But it seems my fingers just aren't wide enough. I use my middle and ring to make a normal A chord, but those fingers are a lot bigger. Any tips for this?
The A major shape barre? You should be using your index for the first note and your ring to barre the other 3 and still mute the 1st string. It's pretty hard to do but it gets easier like all things, here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMhueVEz2g
That shape isn't on the first video, but you would probably benefit from watching them all, just check the related videos.
this:

|---5---|
|---5---|
|---6---|
|---7---|
|---7---|
|---5---|

you barre the 5's with (1), hit the 7's with (3) and (4), and the 6 with (2)
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Quote by lildude_6859
this:

|---5---|
|---5---|
|---6---|
|---7---|
|---7---|
|---5---|

I'm pretty sure he's having trouble hitting the barre on the 12th fret of the A string.

Like the other guy suggested I would use my index finger on the 5th string and ring finger to barre the other 3 notes while muting the high e.

e:---x---
B:--14--
G:--14--
D:--14--
A:--12--
E:-------
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Jan 7, 2010,
I go for index on the first note and my pinky barreing the other 3. I'm not sure whether its the 'correct way' but it works for me and thats all that matters!
Quote by lildude_6859
this:

|---5---|
|---5---|
|---6---|
|---7---|
|---7---|
|---5---|

He's talking about the Amaj shape not the Amaj chord itself.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I'm pretty sure he's having trouble hitting the barre on the 12th fret of the A string.

Like the other guy suggested I would use my index finger on the 5th string and ring finger to barre the other 3 notes while muting the high e.

e:---x---
B:--14--
G:--14--
D:--14--
A:--12--
E:-------

okay, then yeah, this is it...+1

wouldn't that just be a second position A barre chord?
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Quote by lildude_6859
okay, then yeah, this is it...+1

wouldn't that just be a second position A barre chord?

It sounds to me like he was trying to barre the A and high e with his index while cramming the other three fingers in there, which doesn't work very well that high up on the neck.

I don't know what the hell you'd call it, I just know how I play it
Quote by RU Experienced?
It sounds to me like he was trying to barre the A and high e with his index while cramming the other three fingers in there, which doesn't work very well that high up on the neck.

I don't know what the hell you'd call it, I just know how I play it

i had a hard time figuring out how to do that too, it didn't make any sense at all!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

So on a Amaj the high E string is supposed to be muted? I've always let it ring. So barre with the index then do a second barre with ring? Or just the root with the index and barre with others? Either way would probably work.
Quote by Mekchrious
So on a Amaj the high E string is supposed to be muted? I've always let it ring.

The note on the E string is the 5th degree of the chord, so you can let it ring and it would still be an A major chord.
Quote by Mekchrious
So on a Amaj the high E string is supposed to be muted? I've always let it ring. So barre with the index then do a second barre with ring? Or just the root with the index and barre with others? Either way would probably work.

You're right, either way, it's up to you.
Like the other guy said, the note on the high e would be the fifth of the chord so you could get that with your index if you want, but that would mean you need to bend your ring-barre in such a way that you are able to have that high e string ring out. That's all explained in the aforementioned video anyhow.
Well Iplayed today and I'm trying the pinky barre with the index barre and I love it! Thanks for all the input guys!