Well, I some quick questions about these amps:
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo w/ Celestion V30 and new tubes

Would you recommend any of these for bedroom use?
And, is there a significant volumedifference between these amps?

Thank you for helping a somewhat lost fella out
SIGNATURE
for bedroom use......... neither
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yeah, they're both loud - as for sound, I'd say that the 6505 is better for metal / heavier rock. The ValveKing isn't good at high gain stuff, even with mods imo. With blues, classic rock, and clean tone, though, the ValveKing will outperform the 6505.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by KaFuCh
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo

1.the valveking is 50watts and the 6505+ is 60watts both are tube powered and are way more than you need for bedroom practice you only need about 15watt tube and that will also cover you for small gigs

2.seeing as there is a 10watt difference and loudness of amps is related to power output the 6505 in theory will be louder than the valve king but the simple answer is both will be seriously loud and the only time you will be able to fully crank them is when you play at an arena or you use an attenuator
The 6505 sounds surprisingly good at low volume, but even better loud.

-As big and heavy as any 212 though.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 7, 2010,
What would you recommend as a somewhat versatile, with the emphasis on metal (think In Flames-ish), amp for around £600/$950?.. I'd like it to be a 1x12" as I don't have a lot of room for a huge amp, yet I'd like it to be a "real" amp (preferably tube) and not a modeller. Doesn't matter if it is a combo or a stack.
SIGNATURE
Modded VK 'almost' matches the 6505+. In front of mine I have an mxr eq and a bad monkey, new speaker and 1/4 inch jack mod and Im perfectly happy with it, due to the fact that its loud and has a brilliant tone with the mods. Dont expect that unmodded though. And to they guy that said it wont do metal because of high gain...how much gain do you NEED?! This thing has all you want, anymore gain and youll just wash out of the mix in a live setting.
Quote by KaFuCh
What would you recommend as a somewhat versatile, with the emphasis on metal (think In Flames-ish), amp for around £600/$950?.. I'd like it to be a 1x12" as I don't have a lot of room for a huge amp, yet I'd like it to be a "real" amp (preferably tube) and not a modeller. Doesn't matter if it is a combo or a stack.

do you gig?
what genres do you play?
can you go used?
feel free to add me
I'm surprised to not see any Bugera suggestions yet, haha.

Of your choices I'd go with the 6505+. I'm way too lazy to worry about modding and doing all that stuff, I'd much rather just get the amp, dial in a nice tone, and jam out without having to worry. With mods you take a chance of messing things up (if you don't know what you're doing) and you're just kind of hoping for the best and attempt to emulate something else. Why not just go with the real deal? 6505+
The Clarion Call - Solo(unfortunately) music project

GEAR:
ESP/LTD EC-1000 in Dark Cherry
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 100W Head
MESA 2x12 Rectifier Cab @ 140W

Chances are, I will lurk your profile.
Quote by KaFuCh
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo

I think you'll probably end up replacing the stock sheffield speaker in the 6505+ as well, that's what i'd do anyway.

Personally i think after the upgrades you mentioned, the VK has enough gain to do hard rock and metal, but putting an OD in front of it will give it some meat. The VK is great value if you buy it used, then upgrade it. YOu may be lucky and find some of the upgrades done for you if you bought it used as well!!

From owning a VK i can tell you it is pretty loud. It never goes above 2-3 in my bedroom. Between the two amps, (6505 and VK) the volume difference will be very little. a 50watt amp is twice as loud as a 5watt amp, generally.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
do you gig?
what genres do you play?
can you go used?

I don't gig, though I do play with a few friends once in a while.
I play melodeath (In Flames/Amon Amarth-ish tone), alternative rock (Muse/RATM-ish tone) and some clean stuff.
Used?.. Hmm maybe.. There isn't really a big used market for guitars and gear in Denmark, but I can try.
SIGNATURE
Last edited by KaFuCh at Jan 7, 2010,
the blackheart handsome devil is 15watts which will be heard over a drummer, and is alot cheaper than both the amps you've mentioned, i would use the money saved to get some pedals to bring your sound closer to what you want to play
Quote by KaFuCh
I don't gig, though I do play with a few friends once in a while.
I play melodeath (In Flames/Amon Amarth-ish tone), alternative rock (Muse/RATM-ish tone) and some clean stuff.
Used?.. Hmm maybe.. There isn't really a big used market for guitars and gear in Denmark, but I can try.

a Marshall JCM2000 DSL head is in your budget. and maybe you can sell your unused gear for a framus or genz benz 2x12
feel free to add me
blackstar HT-5 w/ an od, should sort you at bedroom levels though if you're thinking about gigging in the future you might need more power, i'd go with the peavey 6505 cos it will have that awesome 6505 tone which basis of Inflames guitar sound, you won't be able to crank it but it should still sound sweet.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
a Marshall JCM2000 DSL head is in your budget. and maybe you can sell your unused gear for a framus or genz benz 2x12

A JCM2000 DSL head is around £1000 in Denmark :/
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
blackstar HT-5 w/ an od, should sort you at bedroom levels though if you're thinking about gigging in the future you might need more power, i'd go with the peavey 6505 cos it will have that awesome 6505 tone which basis of Inflames guitar sound, you won't be able to crank it but it should still sound sweet.

The only Blackstar I can find in Denmark is the Artisan :/
SIGNATURE
Last edited by KaFuCh at Jan 7, 2010,
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Last edited by Mybleedinglung8 at Jan 7, 2010,
Normally I'd be screaming BUGERA!!! at the top of my lungs, but in your case I'll make an exception. Even though I LOVE my 6262, it completely goes against your requirements. First off, it's only available in a 212 combo or a stack. Second, it's CRAZILY LOUD, clocking in at 120 watts of all-tube mayhem. As versatile as it is, put it over 1 and you will annoy your family/roommate/neighbors. Put it over 4 and birds flying overhead will start to die (not really, but you get the idea.)

You aren't going to find a low wattage amp that's designed for metal. They build them high powered to stay in line with metal's emphasis on extreme loudness (not that there's anything wrong with that ). However, there are small amps out there that are extremely versatile and do just about everything. Personally, I'd give serious consideration to Egnater. The Rebel 20 ministack / Rebel 30 combo is a very, very, VERY good amp that should do pretty much what you need it for. Plus, it has a wattage control that lets you go from 1-20 watts.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Jan 7, 2010,
Out of those 2, the 6505.

Other suggestions:
Peavey Classic 30 and a good distortion pedal (Barber Dirty Bomb, Hardwire Metal Distortion, etc.)
B-52 AT112 (If you can find one)
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Yeah, they're both loud - as for sound, I'd say that the 6505 is better for metal / heavier rock. The ValveKing isn't good at high gain stuff, even with mods imo. With blues, classic rock, and clean tone, though, the ValveKing will outperform the 6505.

This is wrong. My Valveking could do high gain stuff well stock and even better with new speakers.
Quote by jamesfarr
This is wrong. My Valveking could do high gain stuff well stock and even better with new speakers.

I wouldn't say the gain on the VK is very good past like 1 o'clock or so.
Quote by drewfromutah
I wouldn't say the gain on the VK is very good past like 1 o'clock or so.

Have you owned the amp?
Jet City. Great for bedroom, use, great price, great damn sound at a great damn price. You'll need a boost for metal though.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by jamesfarr
Have you owned the amp?

I had the head but returned it because it had too many problems. There's a lot of gain on the amp but it's a muddy mess when you use too much of it.
Quote by drewfromutah
I had the head but returned it because it had too many problems. There's a lot of gain on the amp but it's a muddy mess when you use too much of it.

I found it muddy without the gain boost and I preferred having the 'dummy jack' in along with EQ and OD pedals.
I have owned both amps. I currently own the 6505 112, and I used to own the Valveking 112 and I too modified it with a V30 speaker. If you like cleans, the VK puts the 6505 to shame. Even at very low volumes the VK clean channel was beautiful. Anything with gain though, and forget about it. It took the speaker upgrade and a maxon OD808 to get decent metal tones at low volume.

As for the 6505, it doesnt sound as good at low volumes as it does loud, but its decent. I havent had enough time with it at low volume though to really say for sure.
What would you say is better for me, Blackstar HT-5 or Egnater Rebel?
SIGNATURE