Alright, I have a Gibson Maestro guitar stripped apart and sanded down on my floor at the moment, and I got an idea for a design which involves me pasting a collage of newspaper shreds/clippings onto the guitar and somehow making it smooth enough to where the seems are unnoticeable and it feels like it was painted on, if that makes sense. My idea was to use spray glue and a roller to flatten and attach the newspaper, and then a thick layer of sanded sealant to give it the smooth finished feel. Could anyone confirm this or give me any other ideas?
be careful in your method, and make sure the glue doesn't bubble. post some pics when you're done, i'd be interested to see how it turns out. sounds cool though
Any phrase followed by the word "FACT!" makes it more true that it already is.
Yeah, I'm hoping the rubber roller takes care of that, and thanks hopefully it works out as I imagine it.
Hmm ive seen a guitar on here that was basically like what you said check the customization pics thread and find the user who posted it name and ask him how he did it. Other than that sounds like a great idea.
Ya, its been done. You best bet though it whatever clear coating you're going to use to seal it and coat it, test it first. Glue some newspaper on a scrap piece of wood and then clear coat. See how the glue interacts with the paper and how the clear interacts with the paper. Some may run the ink on the paper, so its always best to do a test piece first.

EDIT: Heres one I found by searching https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1210585&highlight=newspaper
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Jan 7, 2010,
search Lolcatar in the forum that'll give you the one ive seen
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Not going to lie, a little disappointed it's been done before xD oh well, still going through with it. I think that thread about the guitar covered in book pages will help a ton. A lot of the methods mentioned are confusing to me, but I'll have my art teacher explain them. and Yeah, I think a test block will definitely be necessary.
Quote by Ieuanm
search Lolcatar in the forum that'll give you the one ive seen

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216060
haha, mine!
i should have put a hell'ova lot more clear on it, but it works fairly well.
EDIT, just noticed my inbox, i figure because you wanted to know, otheres might to.
so ill just write it here.

for the lolcatar, i simply used printed out paper. from a laser printer.
i used pva glue to stick them on. wood glue/craft type stuff.
the guitar was from a kit, so it was bare unprimed/sealed wood, this might have helped the glueing, idk.

then i clear coted, using a oil based clear.

protip: test out your mix of materials, test glue a few pieces down on some wood, and clear cote it. if it works well, go with it, if it doesnt, try other materials.

hope that helped!
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Last edited by metal-matt at Jan 8, 2010,
Thanks man! that helps a ton. Last question though, did it come out smooth? Like did it feel like a finished guitar or like a guitar with a bunch of pictures glued on it?
Quote by layzejerze20006
Thanks man! that helps a ton. Last question though, did it come out smooth? Like did it feel like a finished guitar or like a guitar with a bunch of pictures glued on it?

To get that, try not to overlap any edges (causes bumps) so you have an even layer, hopefully of similar thickness materials. Then you need to bury it all in clear, and then wet sand it and buff it to bring the gloss up.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
To get that, try not to overlap any edges (causes bumps) so you have an even layer, hopefully of similar thickness materials. Then you need to bury it all in clear, and then wet sand it and buff it to bring the gloss up.

Thanks man, that's a big help.