I found this on an old sheet from a past guitar teacher.
What does this mean? What do the majors (Ab Bb C Eb) have to do with the Fm pentatonic (besides the obvious fact they are the notes of the Fm pentatonic)?

F minor - i
Ab major - II
Bb major - III
C major- VI
Eb major - V
Whatever it is, it is terribly wrong.

Those are supposed to be (I imagine) chords in the key of Fm with roots on the notes in the F minor pentatonic scale. Here's what it should look like:

F minor - i
Ab major - bIII
Bb minor - iv
C minor - v
Eb major - VII
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Whatever it is, it is terribly wrong.

Those are supposed to be (I imagine) chords in the key of Fm with roots on the notes in the F minor pentatonic scale. Here's what it should look like:

F minor - i
Ab major - bIII
Bb minor - iv
C minor - v
Eb major - VII

But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give me anything that was wrong. Positive actually. Maybe you're thinking of something else?
Quote by mick13
But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give me anything that was wrong. Positive actually. Maybe you're thinking of something else?
I honestly can't see any reason why he would call Ab the 2nd, Bb the 3rd, C the 4th, and Eb the 5th. It's just wrong.

Protip: Teachers aren't always right. They can make mistakes too.

Yes, I can see that he meant something else, but the way he wrote it is just wrong.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 7, 2010,
He could call it that because for example Eb is the 5th note of the pentatonic scale. However, most music notation is relative to the major scale, and so it should count the excluded 2 notes to make it the 7th. Same goes for other degrees.

EDIT: by "could" I mean that there is a logical path there, not that it is conventional or correct.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
Last edited by sharpiemarker at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by food1010
I honestly can't see any reason why he would call Ab the 2nd, Bb the 3rd, C the 4th, and Eb the 5th. It's just wrong.

Protip: Teachers aren't always right. They can make mistakes too.

Yes, I can see that he meant something else, but the way he wrote it is just wrong.

But it's wrong for notes 2-5 to be major?
Quote by mick13
But it's wrong for notes 2-5 to be major?
Just the third and fourth ones. The second and fifth should still be major.
-Chick Corea
Maybe he accidentally gave you an old quiz he gave to one of his other students, who got all those wrong? I'd call up your teacher or something.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't those be the five modes (or positions) of the F minor pentatonic scale?