So I posted a thread here not too long ago asking about different amp options, as I was looking into the possibility of selling my F-50 head, and upgrading to something else (something with a bit more bells and whistles, and a bit more gain). Well, I have a feeling that due to other gear expenses, among other things, that I may not have as much money to throw around on an amp as expected.

I'm starting to think about the possibility of a different Mesa, or maybe even a modded Marshall. These are a couple of amps/ideas with amps I've been curious about that are a bit cheaper than what I was originally looking into.

- 2-channel Dual Recto/Tremoverb - I'm not a big fan of the 3-channel Rectifier amps, but I've heard the 2-channel ones and the trem-o-verb are pretty awesome. Can anyone here comment on them? I'm assuming they have more gain than an F-50?

- Another, rather different idea I was thinking about as well if I sold the F-50, was to hunt down a JCM 800 2210, and have it modded for more gain/better tone at low volumes. Is that a good idea?

I mainly play metal in the vein of melodic death metal, thrash, some metalcore, and classic stuff. I have a 1960A 4x12 w/WGS Veteran 30's/ET-65's in it.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I really don't think the JCM800 would give you enough gain for anything gainier than thrash. I prefer the 5150 sound for death metal over that of a recto.
That loser shit's right out the window!
The two channel Recto are the best. More gain the the F series.

The JCM800s are nice too. You may not have to mod, just boost. Its pretty much on the other end of the spectrum as far as high gain sounds go. I can't say one is better than the other. It's all personal preference.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Hmm. I'll have to try and find a 2-channel Recto to try out. I find that a lot of the 3 channel versions I've played on have a saggy low end (which could partly be blamed on an oversized cab?), and fizzy gain structure.

And maybe I'll have to give a 6505 a shot through my cab. I've tried them in the past through the stock 6505 cabs, and was never too impressed :/ (Yet it's so widely praised as THE metal amp it seems)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

5150/6505 cabinets sound terrible. From what it looks like you already have a good sounding one that would make a 5150 sound amazing. Not a 5150 fanboy; I don't even own one anymore, I just think its great for the stuff you said you listen to. I've always seen the jcm800 as amazing for thrash and hardcore punk, but even with a boost and a master volume I don't know if it'd have the low end you want for metalcore.
That loser shit's right out the window!
Well, I'll have to give it another shot when I get a chance then.

I also ask anyone here with good Mesa knowledge, does the Mark IV have more gain than the F-50?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

THe mark Iv has more gain than the F. though for melodeth and metalcore its a bit questionable. i always have to use the GEQ for Metalcore and an OD for melodeath.

try the 6505 with a good cab.

and the OS recto cab have some flub in the bass, which could explain a bit of the sag. but then again rectos have a slight sag in their sound.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks