Hello everyone,

I've got a question about tube amps/solid state amplifiers.
I currently have a Roland Cube 30x amp, and I maybe want to buy a Marshall tube amp
Is it a really big diffirence in sound to switch a solid state amp for a tube amp?
What are the pro's (and the cons)?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,
JorisNL
Last edited by jorisy00 at Jan 7, 2010,
Tube amps have Much, much warmer, crisper tones that solid state amps cant even come close to beating out. definitely make the change.
Tube amps offer a much more vibrant and brighter tone, and the tubes are easy to replace should they break, and can even be changed to effectively change the sound of the amplifier. Solid State amps are good for beginners, but when you get better you find that tube amps offer an all con free experience.
This is, once again, one of these things. A tube amp isn't automatically good nor is a Solid State amp necessarily bad. But, I'd say that the overall characteristic in the sound is often different, in the manner that posters above me have stated.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
well tube amplification offers a much more dynamic, warmer sound, and are generally better. these are just 2 pros, others have been named.
the cons are: high cost, need of maintainance, need to be cranked, to get the best sound, which imo is the biggest con, cause if you live in a flat like me, if you crank a 100 w marshall here, the neighbours will just die.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
I just switched from a cube 30x to a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 201 and i noticed the difference straight away. Don't get me wrong for solid state the cube is damn good but it doesn't even compare to the marshall.
It will sound different in a good way, BUT notice that there aren't just Marshalls.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i love how biased these forums are towards tube amps...

Anywho, tube amps do have certain tonal differences that can't be fully replicates by ss amps but what some of the above posters fail to state is that this difference doesn't automatically make them better than and ol' ss amp. To be quite honest there are ss amps that I would pick over most tube amps.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
i love how biased these forums are towards tube amps...

Anywho, tube amps do have certain tonal differences that can't be fully replicates by ss amps but what some of the above posters fail to state is that this difference doesn't automatically make them better than and ol' ss amp. To be quite honest there are ss amps that I would pick over most tube amps.

I was talking about a good tube amp sounding better than his Cube.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Sorry to jump in on someone else's thread but my question (and probably been asked alot before) has something to do with the pro's n cons between them so ihope you don't mind.

How much louder to tube amps sound compared to the equal wattage SS? Like say we took a 60W SS and a 60W tube, how much louder would the tube sound if they were both set on the same volume setting?

Reason i ask this (and specifically about 60w) is cos this is the thing thats still nagging at me with my amp upgrade.
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
I tend to prefer tube amps, but there are some solid state amps that are insanely good. The Axe-Fx and the Vetta are much better amps than many tube amps.

So, over a cheaper solid state amp like your Roland, yes, a tube amp will be an improvement.

Quote by JesusCrisp
It will sound different in a good way, BUT notice that there aren't just Marshalls.

Also, this.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Novationband
Tube amps have Much, much warmer, crisper tones that solid state amps cant even come close to beating out. definitely make the change.

I agree about tube amps sounding warmer, but for crispiness solid states are way ahead by default.

I feel that valve amps give a greater amount of sustain for a lower amount of distortion, due to the soft compression caused.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by craig_mccann
Sorry to jump in on someone else's thread but my question (and probably been asked alot before) has something to do with the pro's n cons between them so ihope you don't mind.

How much louder to tube amps sound compared to the equal wattage SS? Like say we took a 60W SS and a 60W tube, how much louder would the tube sound if they were both set on the same volume setting?

Reason i ask this (and specifically about 60w) is cos this is the thing thats still nagging at me with my amp upgrade.

+1 questionare
Quote by craig_mccann

I looked at the link at the top. I'm pretty sure tube amps produce more noise.
Between SS and Tube, it depends on really one question:

What sound are you looking for?

SS and tube when done right are both equally good. Tubes aren't better then SS, but can be used for more genres then SS amps can IMO.

For instance, sometimes, death metal, thrash metal, or other forms of extreme metal sound better with a SS amp, but that's only if you prefer the sound as well. Many Jazz musicians also prefer SS amps. Tubes can be used for these genres as well, hence why they are more versatile.

However, you can't use (or I wouldn't personally) use a SS amp for stuff like Jimi Hendrix, rock music, NWOBH, some NWOAHM, etc. simply because for these genres you need the warm sounds that most SS amps can't produce.

So really, it depends on what you're playing, and what sound you are going after. Both are good when done right.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jan 7, 2010,
Depends on the SS amp and the Tube amp. The Cube is a modeller, not an SS, which is generally better than the average SS so the difference probably won't be as huge as upgrading from a crappy SS amp.
My advice is to go to your local music store, plug into a solid state amp and play, then a tube amp, and then make your choice. Others can advise you based on their personal experiences and opinions, but in the end, it really depends on the sound YOU want to hear from your amp. I use to use tube amps when I was young but switched to solid state and have never switched back, but that is because that's what works for ME. A different solution may work better for you. It really depends on the genre of music you play.
Ibanez RG2EX1 modified with Kahler 7300 Tremolo
Ibanez RG120 Custom-rebuilt completely, plus FR
Ibanez TB100H half stack w/ Marshall MG412A Slant cab
Yea, I'm an "Ibanez man..."
Metal Band- DARK BLU