Hey guys!

Another question...
I'm kinda sick of my VK212 combo amp...
I am willing to sell it and buy a head+cab.
I wanted the VK head but then I came across this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_20h.htm

What do you think?
The only thing that bothers me is that it only has one channel.
But it has an awesome just like I want clean and just like I want overdrive.
Any solutions for that?
And how loud can this get?
10watt is half of the 100watt right?
so this is like 2/3 of a 100watt (comparing to my 100watt VK)?

thanks for any help guys!

short:

How loud are 30 tube watts compared to 100 tube watts (with 2x12 speakers)?
Should I get the VK head+cab or a 1 channel (I would have to use a OD cause it's got only 1 channel) 30watt Jet city amp?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Last edited by Kozlic at Jan 7, 2010,
Uhhh your saying 10 watts is half of 100 watts...No 10 watts is 1/10 of 100 watts. There will be a significant decrease in volume from the 100 watt VK. However 100 watts is more than enough to gig but 10 watts probably is not enough unless it is just you.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Uhhh your saying 10 watts is half of 100 watts...No 10 watts is 1/10 of 100 watts. There will be a significant decrease in volume from the 100 watt VK. However 100 watts is more than enough to gig but 10 watts probably is not enough unless it is just you.

dude...u didn'T get it...
I'm not asking how loud 10 watts are...I asked about 30watts.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
^^He was saying that 10 watts would be half as loud as 100 watts. A bit of an over generalization, but it is an okay statement to make.

A better questions to ask the threadstarter would be...what do you not like about your VK? It's better to start with what you feel are the amp's shortcomings, so your next amp can be a step forward in tone.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
^He was saying that 10 watts would be half as loud as 100 watts. A bit of an over generalization, but it is an okay statement to make.

A better questions to ask the threadstarter would be...what do you not like about your VK? It's better to start with what you feel are the amp's shortcomings, so your next amp can be a step forward in tone.

cause a combo is pain in the butt for me.
Had to lug it around to gigs and then I can'T even use it cause of small stages and the ''better''(not really) bands want to use their stacks...so I have to use their sucky tone to play a gig. If I would have a head i'd just bring my head.
And the VK is a bit too dark as well...
but with my BBE crusher I don't use the lead channel.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
@ Led: That amp is 20 watts, he's just saying 10 would be about half the volume of the 100watt. While you're correct that 10 Watts would be 1/10th of 100 Watts (duh) that doesn't equate to being 1/10th the volume.

What do you think?
The only thing that bothers me is that it only has one channel.
But it has an awesome just like I want clean and just like I want overdrive.
Any solutions for that?

I haven't checked out Jet City at all so I can't comment on them too much. Your options that I can see are as follows:
1) Buy two and run them in stereo!
2) Use your volume knob/a volume pedal to roll back on the gain to achieve a clean(ish) tone.
3) Buy a good OD/Distortion pedal and run that as your dirty channel.

And how loud can this get?
10watt is half of the 100watt right?
so this is like 2/3 of a 100watt (comparing to my 100watt VK)?

I can't tell you those assumptions are accurate or not, but I can tell you 20watts is more than enough for playing in a band setting and small shows. Any moderate sized club will have you mic'd through the PA anyways.

Edit: @OP, so you don't really dislike the VK (aside from it's darkness) then? What genres do you play/kind of tone are you looking for?
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Last edited by gald at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by gald

Edit: @OP, so you don't really dislike the VK (aside from it's darkness) then? What genres do you play/kind of tone are you looking for?

I mainly play pop punk,punk rock, alternative...
I need something like Green day or idk...
Treble and bass, low mids...
I also dislike the VK cause no gain control on the clean channel, but I can live with that.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Although it has one channel, it does have a gain control, and it's designed by Soldano, so I expect some pretty good high-gain tones out of this thing.

I've never tried one and I only heard of them today, but they sure look promising.

Theoretically, the difference in power between 20 and 100 watts is about 7 decibels, but that's only theoretical. The calculation assumes both amps are identical in all but power, which is never the case. A 20 watt amp will still be pretty darn loud, and you can mic it for gigs (better than playing a bigger amp without a mic, in my opinion).

Also, if you're tired of your Valveking combo, why did you want a valveking head?
I own the Jet City. It is a fantastic amp, and will cover what you want with ease. It will be loud enough, and if it ever isn't, chances are there will be a PA for you to mic up with. If you like to do metal, however, bust out an OD.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by CL/\SH
I own the Jet City. It is a fantastic amp, and will cover what you want with ease. It will be loud enough, and if it ever isn't, chances are there will be a PA for you to mic up with. If you like to do metal, however, bust out an OD.

venues of around 150+ ppl have PAs usually yeah.
Idont play metal...but I play both clean and OD in same songs... :/
thats my biggest problem.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Quote by sashki

Also, if you're tired of your Valveking combo, why did you want a valveking head?

I'd get something better but I cant find anything better in my price range and I was told that its so dark mostly cause of the speakers.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
go for the jet city
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by Kozlic
I'd get something better but I cant find anything better in my price range and I was told that its so dark mostly cause of the speakers.

Turn your combo into a head, and buy a new cab/build one/get new speakers might also be an option. It'd be fun to do.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Turn your combo into a head, and buy a new cab/build one/get new speakers might also be an option. It'd be fun to do.

about turning into an head...
there's a great chance I'm gonna screw up and resell value would be like 80 bucks max.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Quote by Kozlic
about turning into an head...
there's a great chance I'm gonna screw up and resell value would be like 80 bucks max.

What's your budget like?

And are you set on getting a head or would you be willing to go with another (better) combo?
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by gald
What's your budget like?

And are you set on getting a head or would you be willing to go with another (better) combo?

I'm pretty much set on a head.
Budget is up to 600 euros I guess...

edit: (including a cab. Possibly with V30'S)
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Quote by Kozlic
venues of around 150+ ppl have PAs usually yeah.
Idont play metal...but I play both clean and OD in same songs... :/
thats my biggest problem.

Often times, even though my amp has two gain channels and a clean channel, I'm not near my footswitch when I need to go clean during a song. To solve this, when I know I have a clean section in the song, I'll run my bridge pickup on full on the volume, and run my neck pickup with enough volume to be heard, but not enough to start being driven. So I'll be playing dirty, and if I'm away from the footswitch, I just flip my pickup switch to the neck. IDK if you have this option on any of your guitars, but it's a good fix for amps with only one channel.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
Often times, even though my amp has two gain channels and a clean channel, I'm not near my footswitch when I need to go clean during a song. To solve this, when I know I have a clean section in the song, I'll run my bridge pickup on full on the volume, and run my neck pickup with enough volume to be heard, but not enough to start being driven. So I'll be playing dirty, and if I'm away from the footswitch, I just flip my pickup switch to the neck. IDK if you have this option on any of your guitars, but it's a good fix for amps with only one channel.

I tried that once with my practice amp (Solid state) but it didn'T clean up until it was like I had my 15 watt amp on like 1...
will try at band rehearsals with my VK.
THanks for this suggestion.

Another question...
You know the volume boost pedals?
When a guy I know runs it thru his FX loop it boosts the volume but when in front of the amp it only boosts the gain, not the volume...could that work? He uses a bugera amp...payed around 500 I think...not sure bout the model.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rh50t_head_gitarrentopteil.htm - amp
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm - cab
it might be 50 euros over budget but that amp has the best bang for buck in its price range imho.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rh50t_head_gitarrentopteil.htm - amp
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm - cab
it might be 50 euros over budget but that amp has the best bang for buck in its price range imho.

a bitt too dark again maybe?
I dont know tho...
I'm torn between getting an acoustic or wait a few more months with the acoustic and fix my electric rig or get the acoustic and fix my ele. rig in a few months....
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst