I am performing Glycerine-Bush in a guitar class as an acoustic song and I was wondering for a Riff like
E|------------------------------|
B|------------------------------|
G|---------x-x-5-5-x-x-3-3-3-3--|
D|-3-3-3-3-x-x-5-5-x-x-3-3-3-3--|
A|-3-3-3-3-x-x-3-3-x-x-1-1-1-1--|
E|-1-1-1-1----------------------|
What are we supposed to play for the X's? Are we supposed to completely mute the note or can we just play it as a normal note?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Comletely mute. Lay your index finger across the strings to mute them and strum.
So a palm mute or am I supposed to kind of slap it?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
^--Neither.

Lay your index finger across the strings to mute them and strum.
Two more quick questions. Anyone have an idea where I could find just the guitar alone? I have only found videos with a violin and cello, and since I have a person in my group who claims the song will sound dumb without those I need something to show him.
Second someone in the group is having issues with the power chords, since he claims his finger dont stretch that far. Would it be possible through drop tuning his guitar to get it any easier for him? I know That since they change strings then it might be harder, but if he drops both his low E and A would it be easier? Most likely a dumb idea but none of my friend or even a teacher know anything about tuning to below standard.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Last edited by mrmystic at Jan 8, 2010,
Anyone have an idea where I could find just the guitar alone? I have only found videos with a violin and cello, and since I have a person in my group who claims the song will sound dumb without those I need something to show him.

Keep searching Youtube. I'm confident that you'll find a video of someone playing it unaccompanied. It's a pretty popular song.

I know That since they change strings then it might be harder

I'm not sure what you mean.

but if he drops both his low E and A would it be easier?

Drop them to what note?

Tuning to Drop D (DADGBE) will make this song easier to play but to be honest, If you're guy can't play this song as it's written then he has no place being in a band. This is an easy beginner song.
My group consists of me, who is pretty good for just a few months of experience but still not great, a person who is on the bad side but capable of this song, and one terrible person who can hardly play G-D-C open chords at a decent speed. I understand that he doesnt belong in a band, but my teacher assigned the groups "in order to benefit the less skillful." What I meant by changing strings is the chord shape is shifted down a string from using EAD to ADG, you can look at the tab below even. If I do drop his guitar I was thinking wouldnt it have to be like 2 Steps down for low E and 1 for A, or am I just being kind of dumb? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I dont have anyone else to bounce ideas around with besides this forum.
E|------------------------------|
B|------------------------------|
G|---------x-x-5-5-x-x-3-3-3-3--|
D|-3-3-3-3-x-x-5-5-x-x-3-3-3-3--|
A|-3-3-3-3-x-x-3-3-x-x-1-1-1-1--|
E|-1-1-1-1----------------------|
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
What I meant by changing strings is the chord shape is shifted down a string from using EAD to ADG, you can look at the tab below even. If I do drop his guitar I was thinking wouldnt it have to be like 2 Steps down for low E and 1 for A, or am I just being kind of dumb?

There are any number of ways that you could use an alternate tuning to make this song easier. What you're implying (tuning to CGDGBE) is not the way to go though.

My honest advice is to keep practicing the song in standard tuning, its really not that difficult. If that is not possible, as I said, tuning to Drop D will make this song easier. Post back if you need advice in playing the song in Drop D.
Last edited by tom183 at Jan 10, 2010,
Ok, I just wasnt sure if drop D would be enough of a help since the group member cant stretch and hold the shape, and since part is played on EAD and the other is ADG I thought drop D would help with the beginning chord, but it wouldn't help for the second part or the riff. I feel incredibly bad about being this dumb, but I can handle my stupidity but this kids is way past my ability to help. for drop D do I drop everything one step or only low E one step?
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
^--Only the low E. The tuning is therefore DADGBE.

It will help as power chords with a root note on the fifth string can also be played with the root note on the sixth string. For example x133xx is the same chord as 688xxx.
Ok, thanks again for the help.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W