I am a multi instrument player, and I would like to advance by bass skills. I'm not just an electric guitar player who thinks he can play bass, I have played some before. I have a friend who has taught me the basics. I can play most basic stuff, root notes, octaves, walks, couple fancy licks, but nothing special. The music I play goes from pop rock to hard rock. I also fingerpick. I hate the sound of a picked bass.
Go to your local music shop and ask.
it depends if you were playing a more classical instrument you teaching would be more comprehensive. I have found this of course.
I didn't enjoy my electric bass lessons, i didn't learn a huge amount and found them to be a "bit of this and that"
Make sure your teacher knows what he is doing has a good outline of how each lesson is going to have an outline of how its going to go and how it co-insides with the last one.

My lessons for trumpet and double bass, have a very good outline technique and music in eash lesson and theory especially in my double bass lessons. Its all about how it builds you as a player.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I live in a smalltown lol and we only have one music store and its completely classical and piano music they don't offer any lessons besides piano. I learned guitar online so prolly do the same with bass.
I'm a guitar player that plays bass as well, I just took what I knew from guitar and applied it to bass, minus 2 strings. On several occasions I had to put down my guitar to go and play bass for my Youth band, I mean, I don't know anything fancy, like popping, slapping, and advanced bass scales to use over the electric guitar rhythm progression, but I can hold my own.
Find a good teacher or fellow bass players, you'll want someone who is a bassist first (not a guitarist turned bassist) if you really want to get the full understanding and learning experience on the bass. The bass is its own instrument, it should be played like a bass and takes learning from the ground up just like any other. You probably have some understanding of theory and such from your background, you just need a lot of time on the bass and more direct exposures/learning. Try playing with different people (that are better than you) in different genres if you find a lack of teachers in your area. This will give you more experience with what being a bassist really is.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'm a guitar player that plays bass as well, I just took what I knew from guitar and applied it to bass, minus 2 strings.

To a point, bad advise.

Bass is an entirely different instrument and you need to approach it as such. There are a few decent websites and books that can get you going fairly well without a teacher, Hal Leonard Bass Method is the one I usually recommend.

However at some point, please get a pro or seasoned player to evaluate your technique. This is where most of us guitar to bass players will fail in amazing ways. A teacher is best, but a few sessions with a good bass player who you can seek critique and advise from is a decent substitute.
Hmm...alright. Well I have a friend who started on bass originally but turned to guitar, he's frickin amazing at both, so I'll consult him and jam sometime. Thanks guys!